HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Food and Recipes » can you can watermelon?

can you can watermelon? Expand / Collapse
Author
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/31/2010 10:10:37 AM
this will be the first time in many many years that I have canned and I am doing a lot that I have never done...I have found a lot of the things I need on line but I am wondering...can I can watermelon or do I have to freeze it...for some reason my melones came up really good this year...Can someone please help me...As I said I have not done this sense I was in my early teens and I am not a grandmother raising two of my seven grandchildren...so If someone would take pity on my and let me know that would be great...

Wolf...

Post #9866
Posted 8/4/2009 12:51:32 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 4/15/2014 2:35:47 PM
Not much help here.

I know you can make wine out of the rhine. We just freeze it if we have enough. Normally it goes to the chickens and then the rhine gets tossed over the fence to the cows.

Post #9871
Posted 8/4/2009 1:14:44 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 2/2/2010 5:13:53 AM
My Pennsylvania German side of the family used to pickle watermelon rinds. A Google search gives the following recipe:

• 2 pounds prepared watermelon rind
  • 1 tablespoon pickling lime
  • 4 cups clear, distilled vinegar
  • 1 cup water
  • 5 cups sugar
  • 1 tablespoon whole allspice
  • 1 tablespoon whole cloves
  • 6 small pieces cinnamon stick

Prepare and remove all green and pink portion from watermelon rind. cut in small pieces and soak for three hours in lime water made from the lime mixed with one quart of water. Drain and rinse the watermelon rind. Cover with fresh cold water and boil for one hour, or until tender. Drain the watermelon. Cover with a weak vinegar solution (one cup in two cups of water) and allow to stand overnight.

Discard the liquid the next morning and make a syrup of the three cups of vinegar, one cup water, sugar and spices. Heat the syrup to the simmering point. Remove from heat, cover and steep for one hour to extract the flavor from the spices. Add the drained watermelon to syrup and cook gently for two hours or until the syrup is fairly thick. Pack the fruit and syrup in pint-standard canning jars. Adjust the jar lids and bands. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Post #9872
Posted 8/4/2009 1:18:07 PM
Starting Member

Last Login: 2/2/2010 5:13:53 AM
Grandmother used to make watermelon jelly also (I wasn't a fan).

• 4 cups seeded, diced watermelon
  • 3 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1/2 of a 6-ounce pkg. liquid fruit pectin

Place diced watermelon in a blender container or food processor bowl. Cover and blend or process until smooth - you should have 2 cups watermelon puree. In a 6- to 8-quart kettle or Dutch oven combine the watermelon puree, sugar and lemon juice. Bring the mixture to a full rolling boil (a boil that cannot be stirred down) over high heat, stirring constantly with a long-handled wooden spoon. Stir in the pectin all at once. Return mixture to a full rolling boil; boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove kettle or Dutch oven from heat; skim of foam. Ladle jelly into clean hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-inch head space. Wipe jar rims; adjust lids. Allow to cool completely away from drafts, then store in cool, dark place. Makes 4 half-pints.

Post #9873
Posted 8/7/2009 5:07:57 AM
Starting Member

Last Login: 7/31/2010 10:10:37 AM
Thank you...Well I guess I will just try the watermelon jelly and see what happens with that...I did not think that we would end up with the amount of melons that we did...but hey there is always a way to use what you have....and I am sure that what I don't use in canning...and I am sure what I don't use my new little pig will be happy to take care of... Thank you again..

Wolf

Post #9954
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 8:54am

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.