Profile Picture

Billy Goat Rut Question

Posted By Mosaics 5 Years Ago
Author
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Our Nubian billy goat has all the signs of being in rut, but our does are not in heat.  Even if they were, we don't want them bred right now because we don't want winter babies.  I've read that sometimes billy goats won't breed if they aren't in rut.  So now I'm concerned that he'll go out of rut by the time our does are ready to be bred.

Is this something to be concerned about or is this normal?  Our billy is about 1 1/2 yrs. old and bred our two does last year, no problems.

Sue Weaver
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Advanced Member

Advanced Member (2,569 reputation)Advanced Member (2,569 reputation)Advanced Member (2,569 reputation)Advanced Member (2,569 reputation)Advanced Member (2,569 reputation)Advanced Member (2,569 reputation)Advanced Member (2,569 reputation)Advanced Member (2,569 reputation)Advanced Member (2,569 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
Mosaics (7/27/2009)
Our Nubian billy goat has all the signs of being in rut, but our does are not in heat.  Even if they were, we don't want them bred right now because we don't want winter babies.  I've read that sometimes billy goats won't breed if they aren't in rut.  So now I'm concerned that he'll go out of rut by the time our does are ready to be bred.

Is this something to be concerned about or is this normal?  Our billy is about 1 1/2 yrs. old and bred our two does last year, no problems.

You don't say where you live but a lot of folks here in the Ozarks are experiencing "early rut" this year.

Martok came in rut a couple months ago (and blogged about it in a column called "Feeling Frisky") but when it got hot, went out of rut again.

Emily's bucks (ozark_jewels) went into rut about the time Martok did but hers stayed in rut; a few of her does also cycled!

Dunno why they're doing this but I don't think you have to worry about your buck going out of rut prematurely. Once autumn arrives, he should stay in rut through the usual season.

Sue

Mosaics
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)New Member (68 reputation)

Last Active: 2 Years Ago
Hmm, that's interesting that other farmers are experiencing the same thing with their goats.  I'm not particularly happy about the idea of him being in rut for months, but I sure don't want him to "lose that lovin' feeling" before it's time.

I'm in east TX.  We had a few weeks of 100 degree weather, but the last couple of weeks has been low 90's during the day.  It's a nice break for us in July when it's usually broiling.  Maybe Billy's body thinks since it's cooled off a bit, it's almost fall.

He has a donkey companion, Henry, and I don't know how Henry puts up with all of his grunting, tongue flapping, and climbing all over him...not to mention the smell.  Every day when I go to feed him, he manages to "sneeze" on me which makes me smell like goat for the rest of the day. yuk.

mystnd
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Average Member

Average Member (827 reputation)Average Member (827 reputation)Average Member (827 reputation)Average Member (827 reputation)Average Member (827 reputation)Average Member (827 reputation)Average Member (827 reputation)Average Member (827 reputation)Average Member (827 reputation)

Last Active: 4 Years Ago
My boys also have the lovin feelin; including my bucklings who are less than 5 months old.  It appears that my new fainter doe may actually be in heat as I understand they are not seasonal.  She is with the "little" boys so hopefully I won't have January babies but whatever.  It has been an unseasonably cool July so perhaps the weather is confusing them.  Mary Ann

Sue Weaver
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Advanced Member

Advanced Member (2,569 reputation)Advanced Member (2,569 reputation)Advanced Member (2,569 reputation)Advanced Member (2,569 reputation)Advanced Member (2,569 reputation)Advanced Member (2,569 reputation)Advanced Member (2,569 reputation)Advanced Member (2,569 reputation)Advanced Member (2,569 reputation)

I really think that's it. It was very hot here and then we had a span of cooler weather--that's when Martok went into rut. Then it got really hot again and he's cooled his jets.

Sue

Suzanne
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Starting Member

Starting Member (5 reputation)Starting Member (5 reputation)Starting Member (5 reputation)Starting Member (5 reputation)Starting Member (5 reputation)Starting Member (5 reputation)Starting Member (5 reputation)Starting Member (5 reputation)Starting Member (5 reputation)

How long will they stay in rut? This is my first season with a Nubian male and he's a mess. We rescued him after his buddy died and the owner couldn't keep him. A female companion fell through when she became ill from the place we were buying her from. Now he's in full rut with no one to entertain. We have a weatherling and female on the hook but it'll be another 2 weeks. I'm hoping he'll be out of rut by then. He's been in for about 8 weeks. He's hilarious but it's sad. He seems to be mellowing but I still feel bad for him.

Suzanne