HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Fabulously Frugal » portable goat pen

12»»

portable goat pen Expand / Collapse
Author
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 8/16/2008 3:27:45 PM
While I've been sitting inside looking at the land that I'd like my goats to be able to graze but, don't have enough fence for I was thinking of building a portable pen for them to graze in.  I figured I'd build it out of lumber and cattle panels and mount some type of wheels on it and just move it from spot to spot as they graze.  Anyone have any suggestions?
Post #953
Posted 1/17/2008 11:29:04 AM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 5/28/2009 7:00:59 AM
I'm not much of a carpenter, but I remember seeing something out there about portable kits or pre-made hutches from Noble or http://www.noblepanels.com/horse-shelters.htm; Maybe those would offer something .... or an idea. Check this out http://www.lazyjvranch.com/goat_equipment2.html

http://www.cameofencing.com/pipe_frame_buildings.htm

Have you seen those chicken tracks people use to move their chickens around the field are probably good, too. I bet something like that would work for goats, too. http://www2.gsu.edu/~biojdsx/fowl/tractor.htm

Post #956
Posted 2/6/2008 4:56:37 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 2/6/2008 4:48:59 PM
portable electric fence, just make sure they have plenty of water.  I also use a big dogloo as shelter for up to 4 small goats
Post #991
Posted 2/7/2008 5:24:27 AM
Starting Member

Last Login: 2/7/2008 5:21:05 AM
we use the chainlink dog pens. they are sold in a 10' x 10' configuration usually and you can put more than one together. they assemble easily and have built in doors.. works pretty well for us.

http://helmsteadstables.com
Post #992
Posted 2/20/2008 5:44:59 PM
Starting Member

Last Login: 9/13/2008 9:48:40 PM
I HAVE MADE PORTABLE FENCING OUT OF PVC PIPE WITH WOODEN DOWLS INSIDE, IT MAKES THEM NOT WOBBELY, YET STILL LIGHT WEIGHT. MAKE A FRAME, LINE IT WITH STOCK WIRE, AND CLAMP TOGETHER. ITS EASY TO PUT UP AND TAKE DOWN AND ITS LIGHT WEIGHT. YOU CAN MAKE THE PANELS ALMOST ANY LENGTH AND HEIGHT. YOU CAN ALSO DRAPE SHADECLOTH OVER IT IF NEEDED, AND HOOK WATER BUCKETS ON IT ALSO.

TREAT THE EARTH WELL, BECAUSE IT WASN'T GIVEN TO YOU BY YOUR PARENTS, IT WAS LOANED TO YOU BY YOUR CHILDREN.
Post #1041
Posted 9/18/2008 12:27:23 PM
Starting Member

Last Login: 9/18/2008 12:22:41 PM
I have been thinking along the same lines myself.  I am going to use our dog pen panels that you can get at most feed supply stores.  Each panel is 4' by 8' except the gate.  The pipes our hollow so I screw in the tires fairly easily.  I am thinking maybe small bike tires would be best.   Lord willing I will be building it in a couple of weeks.
Post #2273
Posted 9/24/2008 6:24:57 AM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 3/1/2009 7:05:26 AM
Just keep in mind that goats are not easy on fences.  They rub, push , stand up on them and try to climb them.  A couple of little goats can do an amazing amt of damage to fencing. 

mommabear
Post #2340
Posted 3/22/2009 2:55:10 PM
Starting Member

Last Login: 11/9/2009 2:02:32 PM
I purchased permanet from Premier One Supplies.  We bought two 164 ft nets and made a 82 x 82 pen.  We have 3 Spanish goats and move it every 2 weeks or so.  The netting seems to be more durable than I thought but we haven't had it long. 
Post #5321
Posted 4/3/2009 6:20:12 PM
Starting Member

Last Login: 6/2/2013 11:20:31 AM
My favorite pens are made of livestock panels. Here in MA they come in 16' lengths, and are usually about 4' high or 4'6". I raise Nigerian dwarf goats so I use the combo panels that have smaller openings at the bottom, and wider at the top. We cut the panels in half, and then sometimes in half again. THen we can make pens that are either 4'X8' or 8' X 8'. We use a portable grinder on the cut ends, so we don't get caught on them as much.
These are strong enough that if you use dog clips, or carbiners (on the top, not the bottom, so the goats don't get hurt,) or I've seen romex electrical wire used as wraps, the pens don't need posts. You can move them around and they will even hold my adult bucks during rut. They are very versatile and don't require electricity.
Post #5760
Posted 4/4/2009 11:36:31 AM
Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 6/14/2009 6:27:31 PM
Long ago, we'd Stake out cattle. I remember helping to hammer our axel Shafts into long stakes for this. We'd drive the stake threw a ring, and the ring to a light chain (depending the animal in question) and then move the Peg and water pan.   Would this work with goats?
Post #5772
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 8:54am

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.