HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Farm Pets » Famous goats

12»»

Famous goats Expand / Collapse
Author

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 12/14/2009 4:19:30 PM
I'm collecting tidbits about famous goats--real or imaginary (from fiction, myth, TV, movies, you get the picture). Here's what I have so far. Any additions?

Thanks!

Sue

=================

Famous Goats

Amalthea. Who nursed the Greek gods Zeus and Aegipan (a goat-god; an early version of Pan or possibly Pan's father) in a cave on Mount Ida on Crete. Zeus created his thunder-shield (aegis) from her hide and the horn of plenty (cornucopia) from one of her horns

Batisse. White goat mascot of the Canadian Royal 22e Régiment; his iconized image was also emblazoned on the Quebec Citadelles' hockey jerseys

Bill. The U.S. Naval Academy football team's white mascot

Bill Grogan's goat. Who coughed up three red shirts and flagged a train in the camp song of the same name

Billy (Lance Corporal William Windsor). Goat mascot of the 1st Battalion, Royal Welch regiment

Billy Whiskers. Much-loved hero of a series of more than a dozen children’s books written by Frances Trego Montgomery beginning with Billy Whiskers: The Autobiography of a Goat (1903)

David. Mascot at Fort Henry in Kingston, Ontario, in memory of the goat mascot of the 23rd Regiment of Foot (Royal Welch Fusiliers)

Djali. Esmerelda's goat in Disney's cartoon feature The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)

Dr. Goat. Protagonist of the rare and pricey children's book of the same name authored by Georgiana (she of no last name) in 1950

Dungtse Rama Gyelmo. Goat that filled a lake with earth so that the Jokhang temple at Lhasa in Tibet could be built on that site

Fido the Liberator Goat. From the one-and-only Pogo comic strip circa 1958, reprinted in Instant Pogo by Walt Kelley (1962)

Florecita. Ornery mama goat, mother of Sombrita the goat friend of American Girl doll Josefina Montoya

Franny. Wisecracking white Saanen doe in Racing Stripes (2005), voiced by Whoopi Goldberg

Gunther Goat. Star (with Pluto) of a Disney cartoon short called The Army Mascot (1942)

Gabby Goat. Porky Pig's sidekick in three Looney Tunes cartoon shorts aired at movie theaters in 1937

Heidrun. Norse she-goat who nibbles the leaves of Yggdrasil, the World Tree, and from whose udder flows an unending supply of mead for the heroes of Valhalla

Hennes. Mascot of the FC Cologne rugby team in Cologne, Germany

Jeb. Tin can-collecting goat in Disney's Home on the Range (2004)

Japeth. Singing railway goat with detachable horns in the animated feature Hoodwinked! (2006)

Jenny. Who turns into a fairy woman in the Welsh folktale of Cadwaladr and his Goat

Jimmy. Who ate a box of dynamite in an Andy Griffith Show episode ("The Loaded Goat”) aired in 1963

Mona. Sacred village goat in the South African comedy Max & Mona (2004)

Murphy (called Sinovia in some sources). Who, because he and his owner (who owned the nearby Billy Goat Tavern) were ejected from a game of the 1945 World Series, is the cause of the famed "Curse of the Billy Goat" that supposedly prevents the Cubs from winning the World Series

Nanny and Nanko. Tad Lincoln's goats that lived at (and sometimes in) the White House while his father, Abraham Lincoln, was President

Old Whiskers. Russell Harrison's pet goat while his father, President Benjamin Harrison, was in the White House

Private Gwylim Jenkins (a.k.a. Shenkin). White goat with gilded horns, mascot of the 3rd Battalion The Royal Welsh

Rose Tombe. Legally married to a man in Juba, Southern Sudan. Sadly died after eating a plastic bag.

Seven little goats. Of the Grimm Brothers fairytale The Wolf and the Seven Little Goats

Sombrita. Black-and-white goat pal of the American Girls doll Josefina Montoya; her name means "little shadow")

Taffy. Mascot of the Royal Regiment of Wales (24th/41st Foot)

Taffski. The look-alike goat who subbed for Taffy while the Royal Regiment of Wales was stationed in Bosnia

Tanngrisnir (Gap Tooth) and Tanngnjóstr (Tooth Grinder). Who pull the chariot of Norse thunder god, Thor

The Nettlefields. Sylvaian Families collectable goat figurines: Ramsey Nettlefield and his wife Caprina with their twin babies William and Nannette

Three billy goats gruff. Of Norwegian folklore

Türk. Buck goat in Johanna Spyri's Heidi (1880)

Ukko. Straw julbock ridden by Joulupukki, a Finnish version of Santa Claus

Vincent van Goat. Blue puppet goat (who has both ears) of Baby Einstein television programing fame

Zlateh. Of Issac Bashevis Singer's Zlateh the Goat (1966); also stars in several videos made for children

Post #7122
Posted 5/18/2009 4:45:43 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 10/24/2012 5:48:41 AM
Schwanli (little swan) and Baerli (little bear) were Heidi's Grandfather's two milking does in Johanna Spyri's book Heidi...and more significant "characters" in the book than Turk. And if I remember right Meckerli was a spoiled goat kid that fell off a precipice that Heidi's friend Peter saved and eventually that he eventually bought as the foundation of his own goat herd (that might have happened in the sequel - Heidi Grows up - by Charles Tritten). I always remember reading about Heidi drinking goat milk for the first time and eating goat cheese and thinking it was the most wonderful tasting food in the world...unfortunately I was a little disappointed when I first tasted it myself when I was about 10 years old and it wasn't as good to me as the books suggested! Now I really enjoy goat cheese - but although I started milking one of my does this year I am still not 100% sure on goat's milk!!
Hope this helps
Cheers
Cathy

---
Goats and sheep and chickens and turkeys, a cow, a duck, a pony, a donkey, three dogs, too many cats, a rabbit, a hamster, a small boy, my husband and me on a small farm in middle Tennessee...
Post #7124
Posted 5/18/2009 7:47:58 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 8/15/2010 2:15:27 PM
That's really interesting. I recognized a few, but some were totally new to me =]

"Agriculture... is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." --Thomas Jefferson

Wonderland
Post #7127
Posted 5/19/2009 6:29:37 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

CathyW (5/18/2009)
Schwanli (little swan) and Baerli (little bear) were Heidi's Grandfather's two milking does in Johanna Spyri's book Heidi...and more significant "characters" in the book than Turk. And if I remember right Meckerli was a spoiled goat kid that fell off a precipice that Heidi's friend Peter saved and eventually that he eventually bought as the foundation of his own goat herd (that might have happened in the sequel - Heidi Grows up - by Charles Tritten). I always remember reading about Heidi drinking goat milk for the first time and eating goat cheese and thinking it was the most wonderful tasting food in the world...unfortunately I was a little disappointed when I first tasted it myself when I was about 10 years old and it wasn't as good to me as the books suggested! Now I really enjoy goat cheese - but although I started milking one of my does this year I am still not 100% sure on goat's milk!!
Hope this helps
Cheers
Cathy

Thanks Cathy! I'll add those. It's been at least 50 years since I read Heidi! I found Turk online somewhere, that's the only reason he's listed.

I agree with Heidi. I think goat milk is awesome! Unfortunately, I'm extremely lactose intolerant to milk of all kinds but I do drink our goats' milk sometimes (like last night), though I pay the price later on (today!). John drinks imost of it and we bottle and freeze the rest to share with his siblings.

However, the first goat milk I tried (about 15 years ago) was really awful, so I know the taste varies a lot.

Sue

Post #7139
Posted 5/19/2009 6:32:12 AM

WonderlandFarm (5/18/2009)
That's really interesting. I recognized a few, but some were totally new to me =]

This list is for a book but I enjoy compiling them nevertheless. I have them for several other species. If I can rout out the CDs those lists are on, I'll post them.

Sue

Post #7140
Posted 5/24/2009 8:16:34 PM
Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 6/14/2009 6:27:31 PM
This is funny... all you folks talk about goats got me thinking,

I'm going to get a big ornery Billy and name him 3'rd Degree
Post #7338
Posted 5/25/2009 5:42:35 AM

Last Login: 5/3/2012 11:37:46 AM
I looked but could not find the name of the goat on Fairly odd parents.  It is a kids show and the goat is a town hero.  Its super cute.
Post #7340
Posted 5/25/2009 6:29:44 AM

medowbrook (5/24/2009)
This is funny... all you folks talk about goats got me thinking,

I'm going to get a big ornery Billy and name him 3'rd Degree

<LOL> You're like the Boer breeders who name their bucks things like Sledgehammer, Hoss, Anvil, Conan, and Sumo. It's fun to open The Boer Goat and look through the names of goats in the show results section.

Sue

Post #7346
Posted 5/25/2009 6:31:11 AM

prettypalfrey (5/25/2009)
I looked but could not find the name of the goat on Fairly odd parents.  It is a kids show and the goat is a town hero.  Its super cute.

Huh. Sounds like a good addition! If you find out, please post! I'll ask at my goat list too.

Thanks!

Sue

Post #7347
Posted 5/25/2009 6:35:29 AM

Chompy! That's for the tip! :o)

I found this at Wikipedia:

Chompy the Goat (voiced by Carlos Alazraqui) is Dimmsdale's town mascot who Timmy once set free, however he comes back at Timmy's distress with his family and is put back in captivity free to come and go as Chompy pleases. He is usually found by the Mayor's side and being asked for advice.

Post #7348
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 1:32am

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.