HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Livestock » Chickens and Poultry » Small incubator?

12»»

Small incubator? Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 9:30:31 AM
I'm thinking of getting an incubator eventually. The only one not near a hundred dollars (most are built for 20 egs or more when I just want to hatch 6-7) is the chickubator. Many people claim this is great and many claim it doesn't at all.

Am I looking at the wrong sites? Is there something I should know before using an incubator (I did a lot of research on rearing chicks and chickens)? Is there a trick to get it to work?
Post #31028
Posted 11/27/2013 4:01:36 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 12/14/2013 11:34:55 AM
veggie, I only hatch a few chicks at a time too but I still use full size incubators. I have 2 I have both the Little Giant from TSC but with a fan added from my local feed store and a Hovabator that was already equipped with a fan that I bought thru E-Bay, I also bought egg turners for them both because it was easier than turning the eggs by hand and for the egg turner I needed the bigger ones. I had tried both hand turning and the egg turners and had much more success with the turner.

Lord keep you arm around my shoulder & your hand over my mouth                                                              If God brings you to it, He will see you through it            'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Post #31034
Posted 11/27/2013 5:13:34 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Today @ 9:30:31 AM
Farmermom (11/27/2013)
veggie, I only hatch a few chicks at a time too but I still use full size incubators. I have 2 I have both the Little Giant from TSC but with a fan added from my local feed store and a Hovabator that was already equipped with a fan that I bought thru E-Bay, I also bought egg turners for them both because it was easier than turning the eggs by hand and for the egg turner I needed the bigger ones. I had tried both hand turning and the egg turners and had much more success with the turner.

How much on e-bay?

How many eggs do your incubators hatch at a time?
Post #31037
Posted 11/27/2013 5:23:28 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

The Hovabator was a little over $125 on E-Bay I shop around and watch them until the last few minutes of an auction before I bid.

Mine will hatch up to 4 dozen eggs at a time but I usually don't hatch more than a dozen at a time but I have 2 because I hatch chicks in one and turkeys & ducks in the other because they need a higher humidity level than the chicken eggs. The chicken eggs also hatch a few days sooner than the turkey & duck eggs

Lord keep you arm around my shoulder & your hand over my mouth                                                              If God brings you to it, He will see you through it            'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Post #31038
Posted 11/27/2013 5:47:10 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:52:03 AM
I started with hatching chickens along time ago as it was my daughters science project for 2nd grade. She is now 27 so again a long time ago. Started with the tiny incubator that could only hatch like 4eggs. Only one hatched. I would recommend the little giant or ones like that. Around here Tractor Supply usually has them on sale in the spring. You don't have to put all 42 eggs in it like Farmermom said. Helped a friend set hers up for her 10 year old son. She thought since it was their first time not many would hatch well 22 (2 didn't live though)out of 24 hatched. She was shocked but son was soooo happy. She goes what I'm I going to do with 20 chickens.LOl they are at his grandma's for the winter. Be warned once you start hatching it is addicting and if you are going to hatch more you are better off paying for a little nicer one right off the get go.
Post #31041
Posted 11/28/2013 3:40:28 AM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 4/5/2014 5:36:02 PM
on the subject of incubators, chicks, do any of you sell chicks, im trying to get enough chickens to produce enough chicks so that i can slaughter a few a year enough to not have to buy chicken for a family of two.. how many chickens would you recomend i start out with, and how many chicks i should hatch from incubators every few months, so i can keep a nice supply of fresh chicken in my freezer.. also on the subject of selling chicks do they sell well out of season?

Grab life by the horns and hold on tight!

Click HERE for my Hobby Farms forum

Click HERE to see my aquaponics forum

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach him to fish you'll feed him for a life time!

Post #31045
Posted 11/28/2013 7:53:18 AM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

What type of chickens do you want to raise for meat or eggs? I raise the cornish cross for meat they get processed at 8 to 10 weeks old. The standard breeds take a good 6 month to get them to size for eating. The company I get the meat ones from can send smaller amounts but I go in with a couple other people and share usually at least 100. There is no small order fee for this amount. I had 2 of my standard one processed at 5 months and they were still on the smaller side but where I live with winter coming had to have them done in before it got to cold. My standard breed chickens are used for soup as to me there is not enough meat on them to roast. Some standards are bigger then others but take longer to get big like my Jersey Giants but I have Coronation Sussex this roo is full grown at 7 months. They actually seem bigger then the giants. As for continually hatching out chicks you have to factor in do you want a heat lamp going all the time? How many to raise think about how often you eat chicken(roasted,B.B.Q.,deep fried etc) I raised 25 meat ones for myself but ended up with 15 more as someone raised them and couldn't sell them so I got them for less then the cost of raising them myself.Couldn't pass up the deal and I offered a friend some also as she lost 18 out of 30 to a raccoon a week before they were to be processed. It is fun to hatch but stop and think about the work involved raising them and how often you want to take care of chicks. Also hatching your own if they are egg layers(hens) you get more $ if you don't want that many to sell them as that not as meat. You can get 6 to 10 for a young layer where a rooster for meat you can find them free around here on craigslist.
Post #31047
Posted 11/28/2013 9:27:25 AM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 4/5/2014 5:36:02 PM
money for the feed isnt the issue to me, i want to know where my food is comming from so im going to start growing my own. About those hybrid chickens, iv read alot about the different types and from what i can tell they grow to fast for there bone structure can support and thus wont be a viable idea for breeding purposes from what iv been able to come up with.. maybe a chicken a week for soups and stuff like that would suffice. havent thought in depth yet as to how much im going to want to eat chicken, i plan on getting meat rabbits aswell, and going to start aquaponics for fish aswell. my plan is to not have to buy groceries by this time next year or by early summer the year after. other than buying butter,milk,bread.. that kind of stuff.

Grab life by the horns and hold on tight!

Click HERE for my Hobby Farms forum

Click HERE to see my aquaponics forum

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach him to fish you'll feed him for a life time!

Post #31048
Posted 11/28/2013 12:46:44 PM

Average Member

Like Bird Lady we buy our meat chicks every couple months during the spring & summer (we start buying in March or April and stop in August - the slaughter house we use stops processing birds the end of Sept to prepare for hunting season) and after each batch is processed every 8 weeks vacuum seal and toss in the freezer, we buy 25 to 30 at a time (this is for 2 small families) and that gives us all enough chicken to take us well into the new season and we don't have heat lamps going constantly, as I'm hatching chicks for layers we're rotating out the 2 to 2 1/2 yo hens because production is slowing down so much, sis takes ours to work and sells them for roasters that money goes on the books as store credit that gets used to buy feed. I usually hatch up to a dozen I put the eggs in the incubator as soon as the temps warm above freezing and about the time they are starting to lay her customers are ready for roasters for the holiday seasons.

Post #31049
Posted 11/29/2013 4:24:28 PM

Also when you want to hatch your own remember how long it takes to go from egg to laying eggs/roosters for eating. I also raise my own so I know what I'm eating. It would be cheaper to buy store bought but after raising your own the flavor is so much better. As for problems with the meat bird growing to fast for the legs you have to feed them a very high protein food to prevent these problems. I also have runner ducks they are also good egg layers and my guineas are for tick/bug patrol. You could also eat them but most people know I raise them and the chickens so the extras are sold as chicks. I like to keep my layers until they are 2 and a half years old. Buy then their egg production is low enough and the newbies are just starting to lay so into the soup pot they go. It's hard to figure out how many to hatch as you don't know if they will be hens or roosters. As last years one breed taught me 8 out of 10 copper marans were roosters. So much for the dark eggs just a lot of soup.This year it's my bantam cochins that all seem to be roosters.
Post #31051
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:27am

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.