HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Going Green » Keeping trash out of the bins

Keeping trash out of the bins Expand / Collapse
Author

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:56:07 AM
My family (6 people) produces a lot of trash. Mostly it is paper and stuff from boxes of food. I am ghoig to slowly eliminate some food packages as I expand my homestead, but not all will be eliminated. I try to reuse bags, such as cat food or bulk items, and recycle everything I can (I plan to eventually feed all yard and food waste to livestock). I'd still like to find ways to sure refuse. Any
easy ideas that don't create clutter?
Post #30709
Posted 8/19/2013 6:42:33 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:53:34 PM
I save all my glass containers. When I am canning, I fill the ones without the canning-style lids with the stuff I want to refrigerate and use right away, or the "left-over" amounts that don't fill a whole jar that have to be refrigerated and used right away anyway.

The small jars/containers I use when I make soaps, lotions, lip balm, etc.

I use the large plastic containers (like coffee cans) to store livestock feed or make scoopers for feed or bird seed. I also use them for leftovers that are being sent home with my kids, because I know they will never be returned .

We use the boxes to start fires when we are doing land clearing or having bon fires.

M. and D.
Post #30718
Posted 8/20/2013 8:32:56 AM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Sorry for the lateness (bad Wi-Fi). Those sound like great ideas. My sister likes to use small jars too.

We don't have many plastic containers save for bottles. Do those work just as well?

Any other paper ideas?
Post #30725
Posted 8/20/2013 6:08:19 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:57:24 AM
I remember that my dad used to take empty jars to store nuts and bolts, screws, nails and any other miscellaneous items, He nailed the top to a rafter and just screwed the jar on. The ceiling of his workshop was filled with rows of jars. All he had to do was look up and find the item he wanted.

Ken

Deep in the South Carolina Lowcountry
Post #30731
Posted 8/21/2013 8:10:08 AM

That's a great idea My sister and dad use them, but the ceiling idea is even better.
Post #30734
Posted 8/23/2013 3:24:05 PM

Last Login: 4/13/2014 5:31:32 AM
I buy certain items in bulk. My flour(50lb. bag) it put into gallon jars. Pickles came in them. Washed them out but the lids still smelled like pickles so I put plastic over the top before putting on the lid.Store sugar and pasta type noodles in empty pails from the deli.I have put small craft items(buttons beads etc.) in smaller glass jars.I also use container from yogurt to start plants.The plastic dishes that steam veggies come in work good to use for under pots to catch the water.
Post #30741
Posted 9/4/2013 2:28:13 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:35:47 PM
we use the good ceral boxes to mail items in the mail

those that are any good we use the cookie cutters and make Christmas oriments for our tree and as gifts to fam/friends

son use an old photo as a postcard

since we did a field of square bails we use the boxes to cover the pellets before we put the bails on. hoping we will have a better footing then before once we get down that low

Post #30761
Posted 3/28/2014 2:42:22 AM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 4/5/2014 5:36:02 PM
Here are some idea I plan on doing to eleminate trash or rather to lessen the amount of trash i send to the dump.

Paper-

1. Compost bin filler

2. Flower planters: an example: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-make-organic-planting-pots-using-old-newspa/ 

Plastic Milk Jugs-

1. Cut them into scoopers

2. use them to store Coolaid, tea, etc in the fridge

3. water storage

4. can make bee/fly traps out of them: http://www.ehow.com/how_5144479_make-fly-traps-milk-jugs.html - this can also be done with many different plastic bottles/jugs.

5. Can be used for bird feeders/houses, and easily decorated.

Glass Jars-

1. storage bins: as stated above

Cans-

1. Here are 60 good uses: http://savedbylovecreations.com/2012/04/60-recycled-can-craft-projects.html - Im sure you can find others.

Cardboard-

1. Compost bin filler

2. Planters: like the paper ones

3. use as kinlin to start fires

4. very good for lining the bottom of containers, or to set the containers on in storage sheds/barns/etc

5. home decore: http://www.curbly.com/users/capreek/posts/15297-diy-ideas-10-clever-ways-to-use-cardboard-in-your-decor my wife has actualy done number 6 and it looked amazing, she painted them of course.

Plastic grocery Bags:

1. My grandmother knows of someone who makes bathroom rugs out of them, pretty sturdy too she washed them and dryed them with a washer/dryer.

2. Storaging your other crafting materials.

3. Here are a few other ideas: http://scraphacker.com/plastic-bag-crafty/ im sure you can google and find many more

Coffee cans- Plastic and Metal ones

1. bird house/feeder

2. storage containers

3. Small Bucket with an old metal coat hanger as the handle.

Im sure there are many more but i have ran out of ideas as of right now.

A key note would be anything made of organic material can be thrown into your compost, but i would research a bit into composting if your considering going that way, plus will give you lots of potting soil, and fishing bait in return.

Hope this helps.

Grab life by the horns and hold on tight!

Click HERE for my Hobby Farms forum

Click HERE to see my aquaponics forum

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day, teach him to fish you'll feed him for a life time!

Post #31440
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 12:46am

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.