HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Farm Pets » Dogs and Livestock

12»»

Dogs and Livestock Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 3/12/2014 6:21:20 AM
Has your farm dog (or your neighbor's farm dog) ever attacked your livestock? If so, what did you do to handle the situation?

Read more about this topic in Martok's blog post: http://www.hobbyfarms.com/hobby-farms-editorial-blogs/sue-weaver/will-your-dog-attack-livestock.aspx

Hobby Farms, Hobby Farm Home and HobbyFarms.com are all on Facebook! Become our fan ... here's a link to the website page: www.facebook.com/pages/HobbyFarmscom/42353337183
Post #30519
Posted 6/4/2013 7:01:44 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 4/15/2014 2:35:47 PM
I had a neighbor's dog come tracking through the woods and dig under our son's pig pen. Luckly the dog ended up in Ruby's pen (our son's 900 pound sow) and not the just weaning ones. Needless to say the dog did not get the best part of that fight.

What hurt the worse was when the other neighbor's dog came in the middle of the night and took our son's flock down from 50 to 3. dog got caught up in the fence and left it's collar.

What I don't understand is the feelings that my hubby has about this. "Don't take issues with the neighbor's and their unleashed dogs." Go figure?????? If they lived RIGHT next door, I could see being "nice" but they live MILES away from us.

Post #30520
Posted 6/5/2013 3:22:26 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 4/19/2014 9:52:03 AM
Never had a problem with my neighbors dogs going after my animals it was their dog chasing the deer. When I would see the dog on my property I would sick my dog after it to chase it back towards home. It was rather comical as mine is a cairn terror and there dog was a collie shepard cross. Boy would he run when mine went after him. He has since passed away and mine is 15 1/2 years old.
Post #30526
Posted 6/6/2013 6:02:30 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 4/15/2014 2:35:47 PM
I would never sick LaLa who is 4 #'s on a wet day on a pit bull. I have resorted to other measures.
Post #30527
Posted 6/8/2013 1:59:03 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 4/18/2014 5:56:49 PM
We had our neighbor's dogs attack our young puppy.  Did about $300 in vet bill.   We presented the bill to the neighbor and asked them to pay it and keep better control of their dog.  The dog came back onto the property and tried to attack some of the horses.  He didn't figure on the jack mule....  we gave the dogs body back to the neighbor.
Post #30529
Posted 6/9/2013 6:43:05 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:34:21 AM
We have a Great Pyr who is amazing with our farm animals. She is a fierce protector against the neighborhood dogs, but so gentle with the lambs and baby goats. That's what they are bred to do, so I guess it makes sense.

Occasionally she will run into the middle of the free-range chickens, just to watch them scatter! She doesn't try to hurt them and we scold her when she does it, but she is only 2 so I guess it is the puppy coming out.

When we get a new animal I walk out there with her and make sure she fully understands that the new animal belongs here, otherwise she'll bark at them like crazy thinking they need to be chased away.

M. and D.
Post #30530
Posted 8/5/2013 7:05:45 AM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 10/30/2013 5:16:33 PM
lovely

zincsulfate from Rech Chemical Co.Ltd.
Post #30658
Posted 8/6/2013 8:36:09 AM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 4/19/2014 9:52:03 AM
In laws came to visit with in a hour father in laws dog was trying to kill one of my guineas.Dog was not allowed out of their vehicle after that. But while they were here they got a phone call from their son in law 2 pittbulls attacked and killed the 2 sheep and later he had to put down the goat. Animal control officer took them. People who owned them had them put down and will have to pay for the animals.Luckily the great grand kids who like to play by the sheep were not there as the great grandparents were here. Hate to think what could of happened. Apparently the control officer had other complaints on the 2 dogs.I don't care what breed of dog it is they need to be trained.
Post #30662
Posted 9/23/2013 2:16:08 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: Today @ 4:04:08 AM
We haven't had problems with neighbors animals for many years, and in both cases when we did the dogs owners were informed by animal control that if they didn't tie their animals per state law the next time they entered our property and in one case killed animals in the other threaten humans that bodies would be returned to them. The one who's dogs had slaughtered most of the chickens told the ACO that there was no proof it was his dogs (this as both dogs are laying in the front yard munching on chicken carcasses) in the case of the other his landlord gave him 2 choices either the dog went or he could find a new place to live, the guy moved.

We keep our birds penned but they do on occasion fly over the fence (after moults and when they first get wing feathers) and when they do the rule here is if they get out they are fair game if an animal goes in the pen and kills the animal is history. We had a duck that flew into the next door neighbor's yard and one of his little dogs got it and he was all upset that we were going to blame the dog DSis told the guy it wasn't the dog's fault so don't even worry himself about it, he's been much more friendly since.

Lord keep you arm around my shoulder & your hand over my mouth                                                              If God brings you to it, He will see you through it            'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Post #30795
Posted 9/23/2013 5:26:00 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:50:07 AM
When we bought our farm the first thing I did was have a 5' fence, 100' by 100' installed around our backyard. I have 2 Akitas and they think anything with fur or feathers is lunch. We've had them since they were pups and they were raised with our cats. They behave themselves in the house but when they see other animals outside they go nuts. We never let them outside the fence other than walking them around the fields or woods. I hate having to keep them fenced but I will not have them terrorizing our livestock or the neighbors' animals. We have tried to have them trained but they just won't break the habit.

Ken

Deep in the South Carolina Lowcountry
Post #30796
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 6:22pm

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.