HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Livestock » Pigs » Best Heritage Hogs

Best Heritage Hogs Expand / Collapse
Author
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 5/28/2013 3:51:55 PM
We raise large Large Blacks and are very pleased with them. The boars could not be more gentle.  They are like big teddy bears and are excellent with the piglets.  The sows produce very large litters.  Our produced 10 piglets for her first litter.  What breeds to y'all think are the best?
Post #30499
Posted 5/29/2013 10:50:02 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: Today @ 6:42:33 PM
I know very little about raising pigs, but it is something we are interested in pursing. If you don't mind, can I ask you a few questions?

How stinky are they? Sounds like a silly question, but my neighbor is very concerned about this and probably rightly so I need to figure out how close to the house they can go.

What kind of fencing is required? We have cattle panel on T-posts in some pastures and just field fencing in others with either cedar posts or T-posts. I am concerned about electric fencing because there is a lot of underbrush here and we have large pastures that are mostly grass, but some trees and shrubs in portions.

Do you typically have predator problems? We have coyotes here, but our donkey and LGD keep them away from the sheep and goats.

Thanks! I'm willing to share goat knowledge in return....lol

M. and D.
Post #30500
Posted 5/29/2013 2:01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 4/15/2014 2:35:47 PM
Red Waddle, Berkshire or Hereford

HATE ANYTHING THAT IS CROSSED WITH A DUROC!!!

Post #30502
Posted 5/29/2013 2:06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Smell....it all depends on what you feed them. It also depends on how much wetness you have around the pen.

Our pens are made out of cattle panel sent in concrete and t-post. But we don't let ours out until they make 3 mths of age. As long as you don't have a smart one, sometimes you can get away with unles an electric fence. Barbed wire is what we have as the property fence.

Train you hogs to walk with a pigwhip, pipe or board.

Our issues are when they are piglets. Had an owl to carrier one off. But once they are ranging and you have a boar, they are safe as long as you don't have any one sick or down.

Post #30503
Posted 5/30/2013 5:46:02 AM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 5/30/2013 5:45:03 AM
Hereford hogs!
Post #30504
Posted 5/30/2013 7:13:15 AM
Advanced Member

Adrian do you raise Herefords?

I purchased our son a gilt that was born on March 1, 2013 and her ears haven't dropped yet??????....

Post #30506
Posted 7/11/2013 1:43:18 PM
Advanced Member

This is why I say ANYTHING with red wattle in their blood line. As long as you come with a piece of watermelon you can sit a spell in the shelter with Amy and her new crew and this is a 1st time gilt having a litter. Small litter of 9 but no step ons or you brining in a pitch fork in case she attacks.

Post #30582
Posted 7/13/2013 3:25:19 PM
Starting Member

Last Login: 7/13/2013 3:18:36 PM
[quote]NEAlaMADhouse (5/29/2013)
I know very little about raising pigs, but it is something we are interested in pursing. If you don't mind, can I ask you a few questions?

How stinky are they? Sounds like a silly question, but my neighbor is very concerned about this and probably rightly so I need to figure out how close to the house they can go.

What kind of fencing is required? We have cattle panel on T-posts in some pastures and just field fencing in others with either cedar posts or T-posts. I am concerned about electric fencing because there is a lot of underbrush here and we have large pastures that are mostly grass, but some trees and shrubs in portions.

Do you typically have predator problems? We have coyotes here, but our donkey and LGD keep them away from the sheep and goats.

Thanks! I'm willing to share goat knowledge in return....lol[/quote]If setting up a new piggery there are rules set down by your local council/county. a call to their office will give you the best advice so you dont upset your neighbours.

electric fenceing is ideal for pigs, keeps them in. a whipper snipper on all things on fences or herbicide keeps the fence clean.

Warm dry huts for sleeping in, made out of wood with a tin cover over the outside keep the wet out

outdoor production is less of a smelly problem than indoor and keeping the place clean helps to keep it that way

G'day Mate
Post #30586
Posted 7/13/2013 3:28:41 PM
Starting Member

Last Login: 7/13/2013 3:18:36 PM
Durocs grow the quickest, always get their first and are very lean. yes the Duroc sows can be bit hard on their litters but the crosses are a good idea. I prefer to have a boar here than any sows.

G'day Mate
Post #30587
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:56pm

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.