HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Gardening and Crops » Cheap and easy plants for chickens

Cheap and easy plants for chickens Expand / Collapse
Author
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 3/11/2013 6:00:03 PM
I have been told the oats are a cheap and easy food source for chickens. I plan to plant at end of March. I will let the chickens (30) free range it early May. When it matures I will cut it with a bush hog and let it lay so they can eat it. Any advice or comments? Derby, Ks just south of Wichita, Ks
Post #30310
Posted 3/11/2013 3:20:33 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 4/16/2014 10:26:23 AM
If you are growing the plants for a food source they eat right away go with lettuce or Swiss Chard. The chard will grow all summer long and just harvest the outer leaves. I'm going by what my chickens go for in my garden when they sneak in.
Post #30312
Posted 8/15/2013 3:57:34 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:44:45 AM
Fruit (not citrus and remove pits/seeds), roses, and nasturtiums come to mind.
Post #30704
Posted 8/19/2013 7:02:58 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:42:33 PM
Our chickens eat just about anything! They love grass and I keep piles of leaves from the fall to dole out in the summer to give them something to peck through.

M. and D.
Post #30719
Posted 11/4/2013 9:38:37 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:44:45 AM
I'm going to grow corn, sunflowers, nasturtiums, and millet for them to eat and give the the finer compost (no twigs or branches), as well as mealworms and random non-toxic seeds.

They should be fine with some grain or seeds and year-round bugs.

If you're going for utility, rather than food, get some shrubs that aren't poisonous, but are hardy for them to hide under from predators and a tree to climb (they like to climb and should feel safe).

If you want to spoil them, give them a blueberry bush. If you want to ward off predators, rosemary, elderberry, lavender and peppers with fragrant roots help (they might eat the peppers as birds can't taste the hot).

They also like jack-o-lanterns that aren't rotten and melons in the summer.
Post #30887
Posted 1/6/2014 9:37:16 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 1/6/2014 9:31:44 PM
Comfrey is an excellent perennial crop for your birds. Established merigolds are also a great supply crop for them.
Post #31194
Posted 1/7/2014 7:06:50 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 4/15/2014 2:35:47 PM
clover

mustard greens

you pick the beans for your family, weedeat an inch or so from the ground (give that to chickens) and see if you can get another crop for your family

Post #31200
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:10am

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.