HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Farm Pets » Keeping fleas and ticks off of “farm dogs”?

Keeping fleas and ticks off of “farm dogs”? Expand / Collapse
Author
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 12/20/2013 2:46:46 PM
I recently moved to a place out in the country with a little land, and I’m planning on starting up a little hobby farm. Nothing to big at first….maybe just some chickens and some goats for starters, and maybe a “guard” donkey. I’ve got two medium sized dogs that were outside/inside dogs back when I lived in the city…..they had a nice fenced in backyard to roam around, and for the most part I didn’t have too many problems with fleas and ticks on them. I know that with them now being full time outside dogs now….and being exposed to livestock, tall grass, wooded areas, and everything else that breeds fleas and ticks….they are going to be covered in them. I haven’t had any problems this fall/winter, but I’m guessing that this summer it’s going to be an issue.

What’s the best product(s) out there for keeping these “new to the farm” dogs from collecting too many ticks and fleas? I want to be able to bring them inside every now and then without having to worry about getting fleas in the house. I’ve seen pills, shots, drops, sprays, and flea&tick shampoos for dogs….what works the best?
Post #30252
Posted 2/26/2013 6:28:11 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 4/15/2014 2:35:47 PM
Get you some free ranging poultry or gunieas to help keep the bug popluation down.

Food grade DE their beds and pen.

I combination of provention will do you better then using one thing.

Good Luck!

Post #30253
Posted 2/28/2013 11:56:37 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:34:21 AM
I use a little Dawn dish washing detergent when I bathe them, get it soapy and let it sit to kill fleas. I spray their bedding, but DE (diatomacous earth) is actually better because it is non-toxic. I use it on my garden but didn't think about using it on the dog ...doh!

I have found nothing that really keeps the ticks off. I use Frontline, but still pick them out constantly.

M. and D.
Post #30258
Posted 8/12/2013 4:09:06 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 9/14/2013 7:17:48 AM
We have inside/outside dogs too. We use DE in the garden and flower beds around the house, and Advantage on the dogs and cats. We have found that setting up a dog washing station by the side porch has been a big help as well. Now when we rinse our boots off before coming in the house in the evenings we take a few minutes and rinse the dogs off as well. That was what few stray fleas they may pick up are rinsed away before coming in the house.
Post #30694
Posted 9/10/2013 8:03:12 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 12/14/2013 11:34:55 AM
This year fleas have been a huge problem around here, I ended up resorting to a combination of Comfortis (a pill) and Advantage II (drops) on our Pug she's allergic to the flea bites and was in total agony between baths. The cats and our newest member of the family a Pomeranian/Papalion mix are doing fine with drops. And this is on top of all the natural methods of flea prevention, like I said they are a huge problem here this year and no one thing is taking care of it.

Lord keep you arm around my shoulder & your hand over my mouth                                                              If God brings you to it, He will see you through it            'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Post #30767
Posted 9/14/2013 5:45:19 AM

Average Member

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:34:21 AM
My daughter-in-law is a vet tech and I asked her this question. She said they recommend bathing dogs in a solution of 50% Dawn and 50% white vinegar. I tried it on our Great Pyr and it seems to have done the trick! It cleaned and deodorized her skin amazingly well, too.

M. and D.
Post #30778
Posted 9/14/2013 7:26:25 AM
Starting Member

Last Login: 9/14/2013 7:17:48 AM
I will definetely be trying this. I did not know about the vinegar part but since we started using the 50% dawn to bath with last month everybody's coat is really soft and shiny.
Post #30781
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 2:43am

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.