HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Livestock » Chickens and Poultry » Ordering Chicks

12»»

Ordering Chicks Expand / Collapse
Author

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 8/28/2013 8:37:20 PM
Hi, I am looking to order some chicks and want to make sure the breeds I want are compatible.  I was looking at Ameraucanas and Wyandottes.  I picked these breeds for the pretty/fun factor and the Wyandottes can handle the cold (I live in southern Manitoba).  I'm looking for chickens that are decent layers but I don't need a ton of eggs.  I have dabbled in chickens before so I have some experience caring for them but still have lots to learn.

The chicks won't come in until June.  Will they grow at the same rate and get along?  When can I expect them to start laying?  Will the hens want to sit on the eggs?  And any other tips/tricks you have will be appreciated!!

Oh, and these are unsexed chicks, how can I sex them?

I'm so excited to have chickens again!  I can't wait til June

Post #30225
Posted 2/21/2013 3:40:40 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 8/23/2013 10:12:01 AM
We have both breeds and they get along just fine. In fact we arre adding at least 2 more Americaunas in a few weeks. Might get a bantam Wyndotte if the have the pretty new colors.

sandy

Post #30229
Posted 2/21/2013 6:36:05 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 4/15/2014 2:35:47 PM
Americaunas will lay the colored eggs for ya but we have found out that they are sometime layers in our flock.

LOVE the other breed you mentioned and if they are the silver laced ones our 4Her is showing a display of them for 2014.

Depending on how experience your are with chickens, some times it takes 8 weeks before their comb starts to redding and you know what sex they are. Our son has that gut feeling and has been dead on what sex they are.

If you are buying from a hatchery, you can buy them sexed, it cost more for the pullets.

Post #30232
Posted 2/21/2013 6:38:37 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

We also seen that these two breeds don't go broody as bad as the buff orington.

Depending on which wyandottes you are getting they may be dual purpose. In our son's flock the americanna's have a smaller breast then the other breed.

Post #30233
Posted 2/21/2013 6:47:55 AM
Advanced Member

Start to lay anywhere from 5 plus mths. You still need to feed them the chick starter/grower for 21 wks though and then the following wk transfer them to the layer feed.

When you get them in, for the 1st 3hrs I would put a cup of sugar to a gallon of water and get them to drink a little. Then after that 3 hrs change the water and don't add the sugar. I would have on hand the save-a-chick electroics and the probiodtic packs incase they don't look peep enough.

After a week I would offer free choice some chick grit. We have a butter lid that our son put .5 #'s of grit in. But he only has 10 chicks left in the brooder now.

After 2 weeks, I would start to offer them clover or fine cut grass if you got any. Due to his 4H project book he has to weight EVERYTHING, he adds about pound of clover and grass next to the grit and allows them to scratch through it. He rathers the dutch clover over the crimson clover for the younger crew.

Main thing is the 1st week of life at your house, watch their brooder temp and keep them out of and drafts. After that have fun with your new crew.

Good Luck, and if you have more questions, just asked someone will help you out.

Post #30234
Posted 2/21/2013 10:26:31 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Thanks for the help!!  I thought these breeds should get along but always good to ask those with experience!!

I ordered 15 Ameraucanas and 10 Silver and Golden Wyandottes.  They do not sell sexed specialty birds so I hope I don't get too many cockerals.  Now I just have to wait until June to get them.

Thanks again!!

Post #30240
Posted 2/21/2013 10:38:51 PM

And thanks for the specifics fo how to care for them when I get home   When I got my 15 leghorns a few years ago I just fed them hard boiled eggs and kept them under a heat lamp for, er, awhile.  Don't even remember how long they were confined.  Almost seems like I adopted them onto a brown something or nother hen that had been setting on dud eggs.  They all survived but of course they had a real mama looking after them.  These chicks are more expensive and I don't have any other chickens to claim them.  I hope I'm a good mama hen
Post #30241
Posted 2/22/2013 7:03:34 AM
Advanced Member

Well we are in a delimia right now with our son's show chicks. Somehow one of his pullets (couldn't be a roo) has dislocated a leg (a week back) and we've been nursing her along in the brooder. Now somehow last night in the mists of all the bad weather the waterier fell on her and broke or dislocated the other leg. Son nor I have the heart to put her down. But now with two bad legs, we may not have a choice in the matter.
Post #30243
Posted 2/22/2013 10:00:24 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 8/23/2013 10:12:01 AM
Gee you have had bad luck with those guys 8(. But as hard as it is you have to do the right by the little guy.
Post #30244
Posted 2/22/2013 4:59:32 PM

Oh bummer for your show chick!!  It doesn't sound good but he will know when the time is right.  Give her your best shot to help her and if it doesn't work out, at least you did your best!

Just a thought, maybe you need to move you chickens into your house?  Would make those fresh eggs much more convenient on a cold morning

Hoping for the best for you lil hen!!

Post #30245
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:03pm

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.