HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Livestock » Cattle » does the dry powder milk replacer go bad?

does the dry powder milk replacer go bad? Expand / Collapse
Author
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 7/15/2013 6:23:49 AM
I bought the milk replacer at the feed store last summer and didn't use all of it, so I put the remainder in a tupperware container and have stored it.  We're preparing to get this year's bottle calves and I wondered if that milk replacer should still be good? (as expensive as it is, I'd hate to toss it out if it's perfectly good - on the other hand, I don't want to poison a calf if it's NOT good)

I did not think to save the bag or check for an expiration date (if it has one?) - I bought the bag in July or thereabout.

Thanks for any feedback!! :)

Post #30207
Posted 2/20/2013 5:25:08 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 4/17/2014 12:39:37 PM
Most, if not all, milk replacer has an expiry date posted on the package. You should try to look for an expiry date on the package to see if it really is good or not.
Post #30220
Posted 2/20/2013 7:21:53 PM
Starting Member

Well, if I had the packaging I would have just checked that :)   but that got thrown out last year when I poured the left over into an airtight container to store it in...  so the packaging is long gone...
Post #30224
Posted 2/20/2013 10:26:24 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 8/28/2013 8:37:20 PM
Since I keep bottle calves, my milk replacer is always used up when the last one is weaned but I think your milk should be fine.  It was stored in an airtight container so thats great!  I would just check the milk, does it smell ok, no bugs or anything?  I just can't see there being anything wrong with it.  And if there would be something wrong, it should be obvious to you.
Post #30227
Posted 2/21/2013 6:20:49 PM
Starting Member

Thanks!  That's what I was hoping would be the case!
Post #30236
Posted 2/23/2013 4:19:11 PM
Starting Member

Last Login: 4/17/2014 12:39:37 PM
If I remember correctly, milk replacer generally is pretty good for two to three years from the time of packaging. So as long as it's stored in a air-tight container like you're doing, then yep, you should be good.
Post #30251
Posted 2/28/2013 12:00:40 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: Today @ 2:27:39 PM
As just an FYI, I use my food seal-a-meal to seal bags like this. It works fine and will typically seal almost any kind of plastic bag (chips, frozen veggies, etc.).

M. and D.
Post #30259
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:04pm

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.