HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Livestock » Sheep » Possible sheep bloat?

Possible sheep bloat? Expand / Collapse
Author
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 2/13/2013 11:43:56 AM
Hello there,
My apologies if this has been covered before but I am very worried.
One of my sheep has been unwell for a couple of weeks. It started in the bad weather and I thought it just depression (she is not good with cold or wet weather). Since then she has been off her food. She picks at it but only really likes to eat green stuff and hay. Won't eat the coarse mix or carrots or sugar beet. She would eat wheat (not much) for a while, but I now know that is bad for them. She does not seem in distress but is very short of breath and looks bloated. She also hasn't baad since she has been under the weather. She is walking fairly normally (although a bit lame at the moment) and is not kicking at her stomach. She gets up and down ok.
I am wondering if it could be bloat. Can bloat persist for a period of time without getting worse?
I have seen treatment for bloat that doesn't seem too invasive, just using baking soda. Could this be harmful if it isn't bloat?
I would be very grateful for any assistance anyone can give me.
As you have probably guessed, my sheep are pets/grass cutters. Ruth is about 13yrs old.
My apologies if this isn't a suitable forum for such questions but I am very concerned.
Thank you,
Richard
Post #30119
Posted 2/7/2013 6:27:27 AM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 11/20/2013 1:29:39 PM
Richard,

I've posted your query over on the Hobby Farms Facebook page to see if any readers had advice for you and Ruth. Check out their responses here.

Best of luck with everything; we hope she gets better soon!

-Cory Hershberger
Assistant Editor, Hobby Farms

Post #30134
Posted 2/10/2013 8:44:21 PM
Starting Member

Last Login: 2/13/2013 11:43:56 AM
Thank you for the response and for putting it on Facebook. I hadn't realised that I had had a response, so apologies for the late response.
Unfortunately, after two vet visits she is not better. They have just given her antibiotics and anti inflamatories.
I have just posted a reply on Facebook and am calling out a different vet this morning.
Thanks again,
Richard.
Post #30154
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 4:33pm

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.