HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Gardening and Crops » Indoor Herbs

Indoor Herbs Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 3/12/2014 6:21:20 AM
Looking ahead to the winter months, it's nice to think about reaping a small harvest year-round. Have you ever tried growing herbs indoors to add to your winter soups and stews? If so, what herbs have you succeeded in growing indoors and what tips do you have for keeping the plants healthy?

Hobby Farms, Hobby Farm Home and HobbyFarms.com are all on Facebook! Become our fan ... here's a link to the website page: www.facebook.com/pages/HobbyFarmscom/42353337183
Post #29377
Posted 8/20/2012 4:38:51 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 12/11/2012 11:56:15 AM
I love to plant basil in the house for winter. Had a house plant die through some basil seed in the pot was a nice surprise to have in my bathroom. Smells so nice and when it did go to bloom the little flowers were a plus.

Please God remember me.
Post #29380
Posted 8/24/2012 9:22:19 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 4/15/2014 2:35:47 PM
mint of any kind and the numours oak trees that P2 started from acorn (wait a minute....those aren't herbs....)
Post #29425
Posted 8/29/2012 12:03:27 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 8/29/2012 11:59:50 AM
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=6][/size][/font]

I have had great success with chives and oregano, both of which are fairly compact so can be grown in smaller containers. Like any other "house plant" they need fertilized every few weeks with a simple liquid fertilizer and they must stay damp, not sopping wet or bone dry. We especially love the chives because the flowers are edible and look pretty on top of potato salad!
Post #29446
Posted 12/8/2012 6:50:10 AM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 2/3/2013 7:07:47 AM
I grow basil, chervil, chives, and rosemary indoors :)

~ Missy
Post #29888
Posted 2/7/2013 6:38:30 PM

Last Login: 2/14/2013 6:55:06 PM
I'm always trying to grow some and others seem to flourish. My rosemary just gets taller but oregano is a no go. I bring some in every fall, even having it in a pot all summer. Bring it in and within a month it is full of aphids and dead. Thankfully the aphids don't jump to other plants. I also have tried sage and the best I can get is one about 4 inches tall until I put it out in spring.
Now basil is another story - it won't grow at all! I have tried all the tips that people give me but all I get is either one that doesn't grow or one that sprouts up to a foot and goes immediately to seed. Even cutting those down just gets them putting more sprouts up. Thus, I leave the basil to my son who gives me all I can use.
I'm getting a greenhouse this year so am hoping I can nurse some of these herbs for longer periods in the year.

Valerie
Enjoying life with chickens, bees, gardens, flowers and a dear sweet 3 year old fully of curiosity and love!
Post #30139
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 4:23am

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.