HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Food and Recipes » How to make yogurt????

How to make yogurt???? Expand / Collapse
Author
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 6/27/2012 7:51:10 AM
I made yogurt from my crockpot for the very first time.  Used greek yogurt as my culture.  At first i didn't think it was going to turn out.  But then it started to get thick.  So when i thought it was finished i started putting into my prepared half pint jars.  It smelled like yogurt and tasted like yogurt but it did not look thick like it does when you buy it from the store.  It almost reminded my of slime...did i do something wrong...did i not let it go long enough...?  Need some help and advice.  Can't find anybody else to help me out.
Post #29012
Posted 6/27/2012 7:39:52 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 9/5/2012 5:39:52 AM
I sometimes add a package of unflavored gelatin, dissolved in a little water to my milk before adding the starter.

Visit The Christian Homesteader
http://farmwoman.proboards.com/index.cgi
Post #29017
Posted 6/28/2012 11:33:57 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 4/15/2014 2:35:47 PM
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/cheese/yogurt_making/yogurt2000.htm
Post #29018
Posted 1/2/2013 5:03:38 AM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 1/2/2013 5:01:37 AM
Great info, Will try it out

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I dream of a better world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Laser Pointers
Post #29938
Posted 1/3/2013 8:15:45 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 5/13/2013 7:55:08 PM
I like to drain mine until I get the right consistency. Use a cheese cloth, or flour sack or something similar.
Post #29942
Posted 1/31/2013 6:44:43 PM

Last Login: 2/14/2013 6:55:06 PM
I have often made yogurt. If the starter you are using comes from a yogurt made with gelatin then you'll have to add gelatin I imagine. The yogurt I use is the one with nothing else added. I've never had any troubles with it not setting. My recipe uses powdered milk, not sure if that makes a difference.

Valerie
Enjoying life with chickens, bees, gardens, flowers and a dear sweet 3 year old fully of curiosity and love!
Post #30102
Posted 2/17/2013 5:28:50 AM
Starting Member

Last Login: 2/17/2013 5:48:28 AM
I make Yogurt all the time. I get a 1 gallon jug of whole organic milk with a good expiration date. I also get some powderd milk in the small individually packaged packets that are about 1 cup each. If you get bulk powderd milk it may get old before you use it all. The powdered milk makes the yougurt a bit thicker, but you don't really need it if you like your yougurt loose. Commercial yogurts add pectin to skim or nonfat milk to thicken it. Whole milk makes better yougurt in my opinion.

I fill 4 wide mouth quart canning jars with the milk and divide the powdered milk into each one. Stir it well and put in a pot with water almost to the top of the jars but not so high that water splashes into the milk.  A typical water bath set up but not over the top of the jars. Bring this to a temperature of at least 165-185, put some lids on very loosly so they don't seal and shut off the heat. Wait until this all cools down to about 100, add the culture and stir well again. Put on the lids loosly and put the pot with the water and the jars of milk in the oven and turn on the oven light for heat. The water acts as a heat sink and moderates the temperature of the culture. Leave overnight and by morning you will have great yougurt. Screw down the lids and refigerate. This seems to keep forever in the refigerator.

Post #30185
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 1:59pm

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.