HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Gardening and Crops » How To Do Tomatoes Farming In A Small Space?

12»»

How To Do Tomatoes Farming In A Small Space? Expand / Collapse
Author

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 5/27/2012 11:24:28 PM
Today, I was searching different articles and blog posts for Tomatoes farming on Google! I have found one interesting article about Vegetable Gardening in a Small Space on About.com.

But, They have given overview for overall vegetables and plants. I would like to do tomatoes farming in a small space. Can anyone suggest me space area, plant selection, farming procedure and take care methods about it?
Post #28799
Posted 5/24/2012 7:26:45 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 12/11/2012 11:56:15 AM
How small? Check the label or seed pks. They should give you info. I planted some container tomato's to try. I have a large garden but in my flower beds I have 2 big pots so I'm going to put tomato's in them this year. The flower beds are all perennial except for the pots. On the north side of my house I have chives and cilantro growing in the flower bed. The thing with tomato's is being able to reach around the plants. Good luck

Please God remember me.
Post #28800
Posted 5/27/2012 11:26:22 AM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 7/13/2012 8:08:50 PM
Check out the Square Foot Gardening method by Mel Bartholomew using raised beds.  Using a 4x4 foot space, you could (theoretically) plant 16 tomato plants (with each taking up 1 square foot).

http://vreelandfarmlet.wordpress.com
Post #28819
Posted 5/27/2012 4:49:11 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:34:01 AM
Sorry, this is way to broad a question. Let's try to narrow it down.
Is this for your personal use or to sell?
Where are you located? Do you have a greenhouse/hoophouse?
How much space do you have for the tomatoes?
Post #28822
Posted 5/27/2012 10:22:52 PM

Starting Member

@the bird lady
Thanks for your reply. I want to give very clear idea for your question about How small? I'm not owner of big Farm or Garden. But, I want to grow tomatoes plants in front of my home where 10 X 10 Ft. space is available.
Post #28824
Posted 5/27/2012 10:27:15 PM

Starting Member

@nickvree
I have visited Square Foot Gardening website which was suggested by you! It's such a good source to know about gardening and farming methods. Thanks for sharing. I'm beginner with farming and want to start with Square Foot plantation due to limitation of spaces.
Post #28825
Posted 5/27/2012 10:38:13 PM

Starting Member

@Wichman
I'm really sorry to create confusion. I want to give answers to all questions which were raised by you. You can find out as follow.

1. Is this for your personal use or to sell?

Initially, This is for personal use. But, I want to sell tomatoes in future if I will get success in personal plantation.

2. Where are you located? Do you have a greenhouse/hoophouse?

I'm from India. I don't have Green House or Hoop House. But, I'm quite eager to invest money for Hoop House. Can you give me some more idea or best reference article to make it happen?

3. How much space do you have for the tomatoes?

I can arrange space for Hoop House which you suggest to me.

Post #28826
Posted 5/29/2012 6:34:14 AM
Starting Member

Last Login: 8/13/2012 2:33:42 AM
Another thing to do would be to start them indoors (depending on the weather and type of tomato) and plant them outside when they're fairly long. Then you would let them climb on a trellis or some sort of structure which would lead the growth upwards.
Post #28838
Posted 7/3/2012 7:04:08 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 4/15/2014 2:35:47 PM
I've seen them growing in a 5 gallon bucket or those topsi turve buckets.
Post #29056
Posted 7/31/2012 12:34:57 AM
Starting Member

Last Login: 7/13/2013 3:18:36 PM
'tomatoes.

plant out seedlings some 8 inches X 8 inches apart at the 2 leaf stage. Keep watered and fertilized. As the plants begin to grow use canes beside each plant to encourage them to come up the cane. Pinch out the growths between the stems to stop them from branching out. Tedious job, but has to be done. tie up with soft cloth as they grow the height of the cane. Tie the canes at the to to make a T Pee effect. Keep the plants fertilized and watered. If powdery mildew sets in spray with a fungicide. make sure they get full sun in every direction as this will help push the tomatoes along. They can be grown in many rows like this with just a walk way between them for you to pass to pick them as they ripen.

G'day Mate
Post #29274
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 12:58pm

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.