HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Livestock » Goats » Any tips & tricks to share for bottle...

12»»

Any tips & tricks to share for bottle... Expand / Collapse
Author

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 6:42:33 PM
I just got two new baby goats, one is 3 weeks and one is 1 week old. I am trying to learn how to bottle feed them - well, technically, we are all trying to learn this particular skill together since they were just taken from their moms!

I had absolutely no idea it would be so challenging...lol...I thought they would get one drink and take right to it. I got replacement milk and the nipples from Tractor Supply, but I am wondering if I might have better luck with a regular baby bottle and nipple?

We made it through the first day, but I am open to any advice. All my other girls were older when I got them. They are darned cute, though!

M. and D.
Post #28368
Posted 3/24/2012 3:44:07 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 4/2/2012 8:35:26 PM
Get them to suck on your finger, then switch them to the bottle quickly. Also, I don't know many folks that have good luck with milk replacer. Might be more beneficial for them and you to buy whole milk from the grocery store, warm it up, and feed it. A pinch of baking soda in one bottle a day helps reduce bloat too, since they are used to nursing on demand from mom.

Good Luck!
Post #28387
Posted 3/28/2012 3:43:22 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 4/28/2012 6:02:18 PM
I'm one who is having good results with replacer! If you're buying at Tractor Supply, our littles liked the MannaPro Kid Milk best. As they got bigger (almost 6 weeks now) we switched over to another brand, but they started out well on that Kid Milk. We are still using the original bottles, which are regular baby bottles from the store. They are hard on the nipples, but we've just made them soldier through and use them after they bit them. They gulp alot, but they do fine.
Post #28411
Posted 3/28/2012 6:53:14 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 5/5/2013 6:52:37 PM
I've bottle-fed a goat and a lamb, with milk replacer, and sometimes it just takes a while for them to get the idea of the bottle. My lamb took to it almost immediately, but my goat was awful. There were several times that I had to syringe feed him the milk!! I think it took about a month for him to finally get the hang of it.
Post #28412
Posted 3/30/2012 5:25:41 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Well, I have good news - we finally figured it out! They are so darned cute! They are taking the replacement milk well. Thanks for the baking soda hint! I had to actually force their mouths open and hold them around the bottle for a couple of days, but now that they have the hang of it

I didn't know you could use regular milk, but I hate to change them since they are thriving.

I know I'm goofy, but I love my goats!

Thanks for all your help...

M. and D.
Post #28417
Posted 5/17/2012 10:42:53 AM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 4/13/2013 7:00:38 PM
baby bottles work just fine. I use 4 oz bottles for the youngest kids and at about 3 weeks I use an 8 oz bottle. the younger kid should be getting from 1 to 3 ozs every 3 to 4 hours. the older kid should get about 8 to 16ozs 2 to 3 times daily. I've introduced medicated pellets by mixing with water and placing in bottles after it breaks down . My goats love it.
Post #28764
Posted 5/18/2012 7:25:20 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 4/15/2014 2:35:47 PM
The save-a-calf brand for multi species is what we used and had great luck when P2 thought it would be a great 4H project to get a kid to raise. Well that lasted shorted then a snow ball down under and gavie the kid to Ma-Maw.
Post #28768
Posted 6/27/2012 2:15:01 PM
Starting Member

Last Login: 8/16/2012 8:37:39 AM
When bottle feeding do you take the baby from its mother or leave them together?
Post #29015
Posted 6/28/2012 8:03:26 PM

Average Member

Normally babies left with their mother don't require bottle feeding, unless the mother refuses or is unable to feed them.  Some of mine were weaned by the previous owners to milk the mothers, and one was orphaned.

M. and D.
Post #29021
Posted 7/23/2012 8:50:10 AM
Starting Member

Last Login: 7/30/2012 7:19:15 AM
You have to get a nipple that fits in the mouth very comfortably, sometimes a sheep nipple, sometimes a baby bottle. It can take a long time. You have to get the position of the head in the right position and just keep trying. Let hunger help you.

Try this-I read this on a website-
Open the kid’s mouth. With your thumb, hold down the tongue and insert the nipple into the kid’s mouth. Remove your thumb. Encourage the kid to suck by gently stroking its throat. This may take a few tries before the baby goat gets the idea.
Post #29198
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 6:52pm

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.