HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Livestock » Goat Shelter Plans

Goat Shelter Plans Expand / Collapse
Author
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/18/2008 6:02:06 PM
Hello,

My current goat shelter is getting a little run down and I'm planning on building a new and hopefully improved one. Does anyone have any plans/ tips? I found some plans for a moveable goat shelter, but it was completely built out of treated lumber (see link below). I'm thinking this probably isn't a good idea, but I could be wrong. Should I be using some other wood or is metal a better option? I have four Alpine dairy goats and live in zone 5/6.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Patrick

http://www.roosterhillfarm.com/journal/archives/2005/05/weekend_project.html
Post #2804
Posted 11/10/2008 11:46:39 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 12/14/2009 4:19:30 PM
My current goat shelter is getting a little run down and I'm planning on building a new and hopefully improved one. Does anyone have any plans/ tips? I found some plans for a moveable goat shelter, but it was completely built out of treated lumber (see link below). I'm thinking this probably isn't a good idea, but I could be wrong. Should I be using some other wood or is metal a better option? I have four Alpine dairy goats and live in zone 5/6.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Patrick

Have you visited this site? Any of the USDA plans for sheep work very well for goats too. http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/abeng/plans/index.htm

But for the real skinny on building livestock housing, buy or borrow (most libraries have a copy) Carol Ekarius' How to Build Animal Housing; 60 Plans for Coops, Hutches, Barns, Sheds, Pens, Nest Boxes, Feeders, Stanchions, and Much More (Storey; 2004). I love this book! Probably because she explains how to do things so that even I, a non-builder, can readily understand.

Are you thinking of a barn or a field shelter? We used to build moveable field shelters but we've switched to Port-a-Huts (http://www.port-a-hut.com/original.htm).

The original hut is big enough for three or four goats to shelter in and costs about $185 brand new at the Missouri Farm Co-op store in Willow Springs, Missouri (Port-a-Hut has dealers all over the Midwest). We nail sheets of exterior grade plywood to free, used pallets from the feed store and set the Port-a-Huts over those, so our goats and sheep stay high and dry, even during mud season. To periodically deep-clean them, we pull the ground anchors, lift and move the Port-a-Hut, clean off the plywood-topped pallets, move those to a new location, and replace the Port-a-Hut. We love these things!  :o)

Sue

Post #2813
Posted 11/18/2008 6:06:30 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 11/18/2008 6:02:06 PM
Sue,

Thanks for the great info. I found the book used on Amazon - it should be here any day. I also found some pretty good photos of a goat shelter project here:
http://www.roosterhillfarm.com/journal/archives/2005/05/weekend_project.html
I'm a little skeptical about using treated lumber, but my current goats don't seem to bother it. What is your experience with goats chewing on lumber?

Thanks again,

Patrick
Post #2891
Posted 11/18/2008 6:24:50 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 5/10/2009 3:43:08 PM
our goats always prefered leather to any kind of wood
Post #2892
Posted 11/19/2008 6:55:26 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 12/14/2009 4:19:30 PM
I'm a little skeptical about using treated lumber, but my current goats don't seem to bother it. What is your experience with goats chewing on lumber?

Thanks again,

Patrick

Ours don't chew lumber per se--but never, ever use fiber wood siding around goats. 

I needed an office when we first moved here, so we bought an 8' x 10' storage building, installed a nice door in one end and sliding glass windows in the other, set it on a wooden deck, and finished the inside with pine. We've had to securely fence it off because our goats chewed it like crazy. A couple months ago I accidentally left the gate open and one of my male kids (each insisted the other ones did it) ate a hole all the way through the siding in one spot!

John unwisely used the same material to build our pump house and it was badly chewed before we fenced it off.

Besides the damage, this can't be good for the goats. :o(

But apart from that, they don't chew anything but the occasional tree and then really not much. Well, except for our former orchard of baby trees--need I say more?

Sue

Post #2893
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 9:38pm

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.