HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Food and Recipes » winter pears

winter pears Expand / Collapse
Author
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/26/2011 9:13:52 AM
Hello everyone, I was looking at our pear tree and decided that this year I was going to "do"something with them. However the pears are a 'hardy or winter' pear. This means they are HARD! This is why I haven't fussed with them. I was told that they make great pear butter, but how does one do this? Should I boil them up first to loosen the skin a bit and them cook them down? Any other recipes for this crop? I need to get to this before the lovely deer!!! *sigh* Any advise is welcome as I'm a winter pear newbie!!! :)
Post #27299
Posted 9/26/2011 6:12:45 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:27:39 PM
I am not familiar with "winter pears", but I can share how I prepared our pears.  The skins are a little hard so I used a potato peeler to remove them.  I covered them with completely sugar (it takes quite a bit) and let them sit overnight.  The next morning there should be a fair amount of liquid in the pot.  I cooked them for about 20-30 minutes until they softened and the juice became like syrup, then put them jars and gave them a 10 minute water bath.  They really taste like candied pears and everyone who has tasted them loves them.

I have never made pear butter, but you might use the recipe I use for apple butter.  Just peal them and put them with sugar on low in a crockpot overnight with whatever spices you want.  I use just a touch of cinnamon.  I think my mom added a touch of apple juice to hers, but I don't think you'll need it with the pears, especially if you just let them sit in the sugar for a while before cooking them.

Keep us posted on how they turn out!  I have learned to experiment and some of my best creations have been the product of a mistake...

M. and D.

Post #27311
Posted 9/27/2011 6:03:23 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 4/6/2014 10:03:16 AM
There are lots of recipes online for pear butter. Just find one that suits your taste. The easiest way to turn pears or any other fruit into "butter" is wash and quarter them boil them until soft then use a food mill to process them. A food mill is a awesome tool for any one who wants to make fruit butters ,apple sauce ect

All you do is put the fruit in the top and crank the handle. fruit comes out the screen and the skins and seeds come out the other end of the mill. saves a ton of time over peeling, coring, seeding and then using a food processor.

dehydrated pears are a huge hit as well. rasberry/pear jam doesn't last very long around here either. 

Just a few of our favorites with winter pears.

Post #27325
Posted 9/29/2011 9:03:33 AM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 6/27/2012 7:50:18 AM
I too have winter pear trees.  I have read that you can harvest them and put them in cold storage,   luckily I have an extra fridge,  i'm sure a cool basement would work also.

keep in cool storage for a few weeks and then take out and let sit in home for a few days to a week, checking daily to see if they have softened at all. 

I have canned some peaches cut up and then also pear sauce.

Good luck!!

learning to live a simpler life

www.ourtnadventure.blogspot.com

Post #27344
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 12:08am

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.