HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Livestock » Pigs » Orphan Pigs!

12»»

Orphan Pigs! Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/18/2011 8:56:05 AM
So while we were at fair, when we brought the dairy goats home I noticed a rancid smell from rotting flesh so I went looking for the dead animal. The dead animal turned out to be Lily our sow with six 12 week piglets. So I now have 6 pigs that I'm raising. Does anyone have ideas on keeping them going. They are getting goat's milk 3 times a day and are offered 21% protein feed and seem good, but I want to give them more and have heard that sugar puffs(or some sorta sugary ceral) in the milk will help them. Is that true?

There are two types of people:Those who can walk away from the farm and those who cannot. Those who can walk away should not walk but run to a much easier lifestyle.
Post #27001
Posted 8/12/2011 5:38:11 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 10/17/2012 3:56:17 PM
What caused her death?  That is awful, to come home to. Sorry don't have any idea about raising pigs.. but sorry to hear about Lilly.

Livin to learn
Post #27005
Posted 8/12/2011 6:06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 4/15/2014 2:35:47 PM
M hang in there, I will be back with the web site on the piglet saver that I gave J on another link.

Get some yogart into their milk and you might want to try and put some rice cereal in their milk and increas that as they get old.

With with Victoria was only a pound behind the runt on Ruby.

Post #27006
Posted 8/12/2011 6:12:11 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=30e076a7-7b6a-11d5-a192-00b0d0204ae5&gas=bottle
Post #27007
Posted 8/12/2011 6:23:54 AM
Advanced Member

M do they show intrest in the hog feed yet?

Can you get you hands on some grain hog feed instead of hog pellet?

....wished we lived closer could give you a hand, but since we don't let me call Ma-Maw

Get a bag of Save-a-Calf that is mutli species, rice cereal, mix cereal (when they got scours),

Can you get you hands on calf-mana? Soak 2 tablespoons of calf-mana per piglet and add to their milk and play in food to get their attention to eat in the pan.

Post #27008
Posted 8/12/2011 2:51:07 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

We don't know what caused her to die. She has been in rough shape and we expected her to die, but not now. If she was a cow we would say fatty liver, not sure if pigs get that.

Everyone seems to be doing good and they're currently getting goat's milk 2xs a day and Ensure with replacer 1x a day. They do nibble the pig food, but I'll try giving them sweet feed and see how they like it. I don't want to change up the ration too much since they are doing good, but we'll try the website.

Thank you for all your help and I'll keep you posted!

There are two types of people:Those who can walk away from the farm and those who cannot. Those who can walk away should not walk but run to a much easier lifestyle.

Post #27014
Posted 8/12/2011 3:44:16 PM

Last Login: 9/5/2012 5:39:52 AM
How old are the pigs?  Sorry if you have already stated that, I guess I missed it.

Visit The Christian Homesteader
http://farmwoman.proboards.com/index.cgi
Post #27015
Posted 8/13/2011 8:31:04 AM

They were 12 days when they were orphaned and 2 weeks on the 10th so they do have a good start and we'll probably keep them on milk until we sell them at 6 weeks, and just ease off the amount of milk they recive. This morning when I came out to feed they were digging in their feed trough so maybe they were eatting...very hard to tell with piglets.

Post #27017
Posted 8/14/2011 2:05:33 PM

Last Login: 9/5/2012 5:39:52 AM
We wean our pigs at around four weeks now.  Our pigs start eating baby pig pellets at around ten days old, so by the time we wean them they are on full feed baby pig pellets.  They seem to do well on this routine.  We used to wean at eight weeks, but our sows got thin and cranky.  Our grandson told us that the FFA barn weaned pigs at four weeks, so that is why we started the four week weaning.

Visit The Christian Homesteader
http://farmwoman.proboards.com/index.cgi
Post #27021
Posted 8/15/2011 7:05:27 AM
Advanced Member

Ruby's crew at 3 weeks started eating very well, but they had mom showing them.

In Ruby's hog ration we use a 3 qt bucket to measure 1 bucket of Pa-Pa super sack which is 14% protein, then 1 bucket of the FFA Blue Hog grain which is 21% protein, and then 1 bucket of 16% hog ration mix with Calf-Mana Multi Species supplement. That equals 9 qts of dry ration per feeding.

Post #27023
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 8:44pm

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.