HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Livestock » Hay

Hay Expand / Collapse
Author
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 5/29/2011 12:12:14 PM

Because of the drought here I am having to put out hay for my cows.  BUT due to the drought the hay selection is pretty bad.

I have read about people adding or injecting their round bales with molasses to make poor hay more palatable.

Have any of y’all done this?

If So, what method did you use? (I don’t have the money or the herd to justify investing in the commercial injection systems I have seen)

Does this create a huge ANT problem?

Is there any other hay supplement commercially available for this application?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

THANKS

There is nothing like the warm glow of a burning bridge.
Hung like Einstein, Smart as a Donkey

Post #26234
Posted 5/23/2011 10:58:10 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 10/17/2012 3:56:17 PM
How about using lix tub supplements? rather than injecting your hay bales with molasas? I have never heard of injecting hay.. but they have different protein levels of lix tubs ( I think lix tub is just a brand name).

Livin to learn
Post #26262
Posted 5/23/2011 12:20:40 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 4/15/2014 2:35:47 PM
I think you are asking for a lot of trouble by doing this. The ants normally find their way into the bales already, but injecting it with moleses is just asking for more ants then you need.
Post #26264
Posted 5/24/2011 5:57:22 AM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 1/18/2013 7:28:50 PM
I've never heard of this, either.  In order to maintain the integrity of the hay bales, the molasses would have to be the dried version, otherwise the bales would get wet and be liable to mold and spontaneous combustion.

If the molasses were dry, it would just fall from the bale as it is eaten.  Maybe the cattle would eat it, maybe not.

Beet pulp is good supplementation for animals when hay quality is not good.  It comes in dried form and should be soaked with water for several hours before being fed.  It has molasses in it and our animals really like it.  They gain well on it, too, without getting fat.

Karen

http://www.facebook.com/MrsKsCreations

Post #26277
Posted 5/24/2011 7:43:06 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 10/17/2012 3:56:17 PM
Kim Denny of Chestnut Farm in Hardwick, Mass., raises a variety of animals, including grass-fed cattle. She says that during the winter, “We buy molasses in 50-gallon barrels.”

She fills a five-gallon bucket with half molasses and half hot water, and sprinkles it on a five-by-five round bale.“That makes a big difference in our cattle; it’s the only supplement they get.” She says the cattle are more energetic, eat better and are generally more alert than those fed on straight hay.

I just found this on the hobby farms news letter in my email.. Maybe it will help..

Livin to learn
Post #26281
Posted 5/24/2011 8:29:12 AM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 6/2/2011 1:33:17 PM
For our main herd we feed a liquid molasses that we buy from the feed lots.  We get a few hundred gallons at a time and it lasts for about a month.  We put the molasses in a tub that has wheels that the cattle lick to get their fill.  We use smaller tubs of molasses (usually from Tractor Supply or another feed store) for our replacement heifers (and the steer). 

I've read that it is important to feed molasses to the cows when they're on dry grass.  It feeds the (good) bacteria in their gut.  The guy at the feed lot said it makes them hungry which encourages them to eat the hay.

Post #26282
Posted 6/29/2011 12:07:06 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 2/8/2013 7:36:48 AM
We feed molasses to our cows as the cow nutritionist says that it is the cheapest way to increase protein to them while foraging on crappy hay. I also feed molasses to my sheep, but don't inject the bale as you propose. At the dairy farm, and for the sheep, we feed out the hay in their managers and then mix the molasses 1/2 and half with hot water and pour it over the hay. We have been doing this for the last 75-100 years or so...
Post #26582
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 4:33pm

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.