HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Food and Recipes » Ice Cream

Ice Cream Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 3/12/2014 6:21:20 AM
Do you make your own ice cream? If so, what's your favorite way to eat it?

Hobby Farms, Hobby Farm Home and HobbyFarms.com are all on Facebook! Become our fan ... here's a link to the website page: www.facebook.com/pages/HobbyFarmscom/42353337183
Post #26012
Posted 5/3/2011 8:22:24 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 8/6/2013 8:26:39 AM
I have a soft Ice cream maker, and make an amazing pumpkin ice cream.

Though i want a better maker and since my diagnosis with Crohns I cant really do dairy so Its not a staple in our house any more.

Post #26075
Posted 5/13/2011 5:11:03 AM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 5/13/2011 5:04:41 AM
My sisters and I made ice cream using coffee cans, salt, and ice. We put the ice cream ingredients into a small can, put that can into a bigger can, then put salt and ice in between them. We then rolled the can down a high hill.  It can be a lot of fun, and soooo rewarding in the end.  My fave is vannilla. You can always add to it.
Post #26134
Posted 5/14/2011 3:06:30 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 2/8/2013 7:36:48 AM
I grew up on a dairy farm and so we always had the good ice cream; that is the kind that is made from real milk straight, from the Jersey Cow's. Oh that was good.

First we had the old hand crank ice cream maker but that proved to be a lot of work and have since migrated towards the electrified kind.

There is something gratifying about having ice cream produced from your own dairy ingredients, but then again, growing up, we made our own butter and our own chocolate milk, nothing like Hershey's syrup and milk drawn straight from the cooler. :-)
Post #26138
Posted 5/16/2011 10:49:01 PM

Last Login: 8/24/2012 8:09:28 PM
How did you make the butter? That had to be delicious! And I can only imagine how dreamy homemade ice cream is with fresh-as-possible milk.

Best,

Amy

www.amygrisak.com

www.thebackyardbounty.com

Post #26177
Posted 5/17/2011 5:00:15 PM

Last Login: 2/8/2013 7:36:48 AM
We had a few Jersey cows that my grandfather milked by hand. He saved the cream off the milk each time, and by Saturday we put it in a hand butter churn and us grand kids took turns cranking that silly thing while we watched cartoons. It was really salty though and so no one in the family liked it, so we sold it for extra money.

We really did not have much growing up, a few acres, a few cows, quite a few sheep, and lots and lots of chickens (75,000 broilers). Still it was home, and still is I guess though I moved west. About 350 feet, 17 years ago, to be exact, so it's not like I am heading west very fast. :-)

Post #26194
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 12:53pm

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.