HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Livestock » Chickens and Poultry » straight run chicks

straight run chicks Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 12/11/2012 11:56:15 AM
I'm curios if anybody else that hatches chicks finds people real cheep on what they want to pay for straight run chicks.Most hatcheries run around 1.75 for straight run and make you order at least 25 plus shipping.I'm finding that charging 2.00 no one wants to pay that much around where I live. Is this everywhere or just here. Northern Michigan. These chicks are very dark egg layers Welsummer and black copper marans and also blue red lace wyandottes.

Please God remember me.
Post #25637
Posted 3/26/2011 2:42:53 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 12/14/2013 11:34:55 AM
Most of the places around here that sell chicks get them thru hatcheries so have mostly pullets for sale they order very few straight runs but they sell both for the same price.

Lord keep you arm around my shoulder & your hand over my mouth                                                              If God brings you to it, He will see you through it            'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Post #25649
Posted 3/27/2011 6:59:35 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 1/28/2014 8:56:20 AM
The breeds you mentioned should be bringing more than that even as straight run.  Those are high demand breeds.

We sell standard chicks (Buff Orp., Rhode Island Red, Barred Rock, Easter Eggers) at one week old for $2 and increase the price a $1 a week.  Usually we have ID'd the males by 4-6 weeks or so and they are marked and sell for less until they go to freezer camp.

Paul Ewing

Shining Moon Farm - Boyd, TX

http://www.ShiningMoonFarm.com

Post #25654
Posted 3/27/2011 6:48:15 PM

Last Login: 12/11/2012 11:56:15 AM
I total agree with Paul these are hard to find chicks I guess that is one of the reasons I'm dumb founded. My neighbor buyes150 pullets raises them and sell a bunch and only keeps the amount she wants. She prices them from what she has to pay and goes up 50 per week. So many people still want to pay her like 2.50 for a 4 month old hen. She even had a couple arguing with her about the price and how could she charge so much.Do people not think about the feed and the charge for electricity for the heat lamp let alone taking care of them. Thanks for letting me vent.

Please God remember me.
Post #25665
Posted 3/27/2011 7:14:41 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 10/17/2012 3:56:17 PM
I paid $8.00 for about 4 month old pullets. I wanted the chickens and the guy had them and they had started laying so I paid the price.  I could have found some cheaper but then would have to drive about 100 miles to get them.

Another gal who also got some from him at the same time, had a problem with the price, but as manager of the local farm store, she had sold them to him for about .50 each (leftovers)..

I guess I would never buy chicks from a local producer (nothing wrong with it, I just have never heard of anyone in our area doing that) so I go to the local farm store (plus since I work there... um... they may take exception to it)

let me rephrase that, I never would have thought to buy baby chicks from a local producer

Livin to learn

Post #25666
Posted 3/28/2011 6:29:30 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 4/15/2014 2:35:47 PM
The only thing that P2 and I found out that you can ask for more then $2 a piece for straight run chicks are keets and pheasant chicks. Other then that, P2 wanted to crossed barred plymouth rocks with RIRs to get a sex link chick and tell right off the bat what they were. But then again people have issues to start off with...LOL
Post #25674
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 2:43am

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.