HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Gardening and Crops » Growing Quinoa

Growing Quinoa Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 5/11/2012 2:10:25 PM
Has anyone grown Quinoa in zones 5/6? The internet says it's easier to grow than tomatoes? Any advice would be appreciated!
Post #25426
Posted 3/7/2011 5:48:26 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 2/14/2013 6:55:06 PM
Debbi - I don't but I'm interested to see what people say. I am trying amaranth this year. I was reading where it makes good feed for chickens.

Valerie
Enjoying life with chickens, bees, gardens, flowers and a dear sweet 3 year old fully of curiosity and love!
Post #25448
Posted 3/7/2011 6:39:45 PM

Last Login: 8/24/2012 8:09:28 PM
I'm growing it this year. It's in the spinach family, and is supposed to grow very well in the dry, climate of South America.... and subsequently the Rockies. So, I think it should do well for you. From what I've read, I would put it in an area that isn't watered much. Should be a fun experiment!

Amy

www.amygrisak.com

www.thebackyardbounty.com

Post #25452
Posted 3/16/2011 7:41:07 PM

Last Login: 4/19/2012 7:46:18 PM
I grew amaranth last year, which is similar to quinoa. It grew fantastic in my garden when started from seed in a pot and treated like a vegetable. I also planted amaranth in a couple small fields. It grew there too, event though the soil wasn't great an I didn't cultivate or water. But it didn't grow as well as the amaranth I grew in the garden. You've got to watch amaranth closely because the seeds don't ripen at the same time, and once they're ripe they begin falling off the head. I suspect Quinoa might be the same way. I think this year I'll cut the heads off as soon as the first seeds begin to ripen and let the rest ripen in a warm shaded place.
Post #25523
Posted 3/21/2011 10:47:35 AM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 4/19/2012 11:26:09 AM
I read somewhere that quinoa seeds have a soapy coating on them and should be washed before eaten, but I don't know if it's 100 % true.
Post #25573
Posted 3/24/2011 8:28:41 AM

Last Login: 5/11/2012 2:10:25 PM
I'm going to grow it here, 8000 ft mountain desert. And I asked my daughter, in Idaho about 5000 ft, she'll be trying it there. Let me know how you do!
Post #25616
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 6:25am

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.