Profile Picture

VERY SMALL HAY EQUIPMENT

Posted By smsd6446 6 Years Ago
Author
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Starting Member

Starting Member (25 reputation)Starting Member (25 reputation)Starting Member (25 reputation)Starting Member (25 reputation)Starting Member (25 reputation)Starting Member (25 reputation)Starting Member (25 reputation)Starting Member (25 reputation)Starting Member (25 reputation)

Group: Forum Members
Last Active: 6 Years Ago
Several years ago I saw advertised some very small hay equipment that could be used with a garden tractor or one with 25-30 HP.  It made round bales about the size of smaller square bales and I think square bales even smaller.  This would be a size that is not heavy.  Does anyone know anything about this equipment or have you seen it advertised anywhere? This would make bales much smaller than 4'x5' round bales I have seen.  All info is appreciated.   Thanks

brody
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (472 reputation)Junior Member (472 reputation)Junior Member (472 reputation)Junior Member (472 reputation)Junior Member (472 reputation)Junior Member (472 reputation)Junior Member (472 reputation)Junior Member (472 reputation)Junior Member (472 reputation)

Last Active: 5 Years Ago
I was thinking about hay making today - for me smaller bales would be easier to handle and potentially more marketable - as I have connections to a number of urban bunny people who have issues storing and using large bales

I'd be interested in more feedback - both pros and cons on this subject too

farmersdaughter
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (96 reputation)New Member (96 reputation)New Member (96 reputation)New Member (96 reputation)New Member (96 reputation)New Member (96 reputation)New Member (96 reputation)New Member (96 reputation)New Member (96 reputation)

brody (11/23/2008)
I was thinking about hay making today - for me smaller bales would be easier to handle and potentially more marketable - as I have connections to a number of urban bunny people who have issues storing and using large bales

I'd be interested in more feedback - both pros and cons on this subject too

I would love to hear from others on this, too.

I think making hay is something to look into these days. With prices higher for everything--i'd like to be more self-sufficient.

And certainly there must be some healthy and affordable alternatives to grass hay ..?

farmersdaughter
Posted 6 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (96 reputation)New Member (96 reputation)New Member (96 reputation)New Member (96 reputation)New Member (96 reputation)New Member (96 reputation)New Member (96 reputation)New Member (96 reputation)New Member (96 reputation)

fanky44 (11/25/2008)
"And certainly there must be some healthy and affordable alternatives to grass hay ..? "

What do you mean? Other crops, and what do you think of as grass hay?

I guess I was thinking in terms of grass hay or long-stem hay as opposed to alfalfa hay ... and then there's the whole question of lack of said hay, period. I've heard some people feed haylage or beet pulp, even...

But we digress from the original question...

artbysue
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Starting Member

Starting Member (49 reputation)Starting Member (49 reputation)Starting Member (49 reputation)Starting Member (49 reputation)Starting Member (49 reputation)Starting Member (49 reputation)Starting Member (49 reputation)Starting Member (49 reputation)Starting Member (49 reputation)

I know at halloween time stores sell very very small bales of straw for decorative purposes.  Are thinking along those lines?  Pet stores also sell very small bales of alfafa. 

If you were not looking for the above you could always do it like the Amish do.... Smile 

Sue Steiner

equine and animal art

www.suesteiner.com

princetonkiwi
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Starting Member

Starting Member (26 reputation)Starting Member (26 reputation)Starting Member (26 reputation)Starting Member (26 reputation)Starting Member (26 reputation)Starting Member (26 reputation)Starting Member (26 reputation)Starting Member (26 reputation)Starting Member (26 reputation)

Check out the BCS hay making/baling line of equipment for two wheel tractor and talk to Joel at Earth Tools - you can sell mini-bales at a premium to suburban bunny and chicken owners.  www.earthtoolsbcs.com

MiniAcres
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile
Starting Member

Starting Member (46 reputation)Starting Member (46 reputation)Starting Member (46 reputation)Starting Member (46 reputation)Starting Member (46 reputation)Starting Member (46 reputation)Starting Member (46 reputation)Starting Member (46 reputation)Starting Member (46 reputation)

Hello,

I noticed in the Hobby Farms magazine an ad for a New Holland minibaler.

http://www.minibaler.com/

It looks like a table top and pull versions are available.

JamieLynn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)

Coming from a ranch that puts up a about 500 acres of hay. I have to tell you their is considerable expense in any piece of equipment.  It is probably cheaper in the long run to hire someone that allready has the equipment to come do your haying for you.  Someone mentioned that you can make the hay bale any size. I would recomend using a small square baler and setting it to whatever size you want.   HAving to store and maintain equipment all year long is very expensive.

Hope this helps!

JamieLynn
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)Junior Member (130 reputation)

oldfarmer (2/4/2009)
Oh no Jamie, no one should put equipment away, leave it outside in the rain and cold.  I bet it would cost as much OR MORE to own that tinker equipment.

Why wouldn't you take care of your equipment? Putting it under cover is a GOOD thing. Leaving it out in the weather is a BAD thing!!!

BOOGER4
Posted 5 Years Ago
View Quick Profile

New Member (95 reputation)New Member (95 reputation)New Member (95 reputation)New Member (95 reputation)New Member (95 reputation)New Member (95 reputation)New Member (95 reputation)New Member (95 reputation)New Member (95 reputation)

my first reaction is that any hay baler you could use with a garden tractor would be more in the nature of a toy, rather than a machine.

if you want small bales, have your hay put into square bales and have the guy running the baler to set it to make lightweight bales.  that's usually a simple and quick adjustment on most square balers.

just be aware that lighter bales mean a greater number of bales out of a given amount of grass-  and a lot of balers charge by the bale. so you'll be wind up paying more on a per-ton basis.