HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Tools and Equipment » VERY SMALL HAY EQUIPMENT

12345»»»

VERY SMALL HAY EQUIPMENT Expand / Collapse
Author
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/29/2008 4:17:57 PM
Several years ago I saw advertised some very small hay equipment that could be used with a garden tractor or one with 25-30 HP.  It made round bales about the size of smaller square bales and I think square bales even smaller.  This would be a size that is not heavy.  Does anyone know anything about this equipment or have you seen it advertised anywhere? This would make bales much smaller than 4'x5' round bales I have seen.  All info is appreciated.   Thanks
Post #2364
Posted 10/3/2008 6:41:13 AM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 10/24/2008 12:58:46 PM
They seam like a lot of hours, fuel and work for what you get back. I've seen many of them as intro farm equipment, but the trend shows many people going to larger equipment or paying someone elts to do it.  I bet they are fun however.   
Post #2385
Posted 11/23/2008 10:55:06 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 5/10/2009 3:43:08 PM
I was thinking about hay making today - for me smaller bales would be easier to handle and potentially more marketable - as I have connections to a number of urban bunny people who have issues storing and using large bales

I'd be interested in more feedback - both pros and cons on this subject too

Post #2907
Posted 11/23/2008 3:23:38 PM
Starting Member

Last Login: 12/9/2008 7:44:39 AM
So change the settings on a standard square bailer. Just becouse the equipment is large, has little to do with the ablity to make a small bail.  A 1,500 LB round bailer can make a bail that weaghs 100lbs.  You just stop and wrap the bail sooner.

Some of that Minnie equipment is less scarry, but if you only have 1 acre, why not just ask a Hay farmer to make you some 2lb bails...you'll pay a little more for them but wouldn't that make more sence than investing in equipment?
Post #2908
Posted 11/25/2008 11:23:51 AM
Starting Member

Last Login: 4/2/2009 9:58:55 AM
brody (11/23/2008)
I was thinking about hay making today - for me smaller bales would be easier to handle and potentially more marketable - as I have connections to a number of urban bunny people who have issues storing and using large bales

I'd be interested in more feedback - both pros and cons on this subject too

I would love to hear from others on this, too.

I think making hay is something to look into these days. With prices higher for everything--i'd like to be more self-sufficient.

And certainly there must be some healthy and affordable alternatives to grass hay ..?

Post #2921
Posted 11/25/2008 4:26:37 PM
Starting Member

"And certainly there must be some healthy and affordable alternatives to grass hay ..? "

What do you mean? Other crops, and what do you think of as grass hay?

Post #2923
Posted 11/26/2008 7:53:26 AM
Starting Member

Last Login: 4/2/2009 9:58:55 AM
fanky44 (11/25/2008)
"And certainly there must be some healthy and affordable alternatives to grass hay ..? "

What do you mean? Other crops, and what do you think of as grass hay?

I guess I was thinking in terms of grass hay or long-stem hay as opposed to alfalfa hay ... and then there's the whole question of lack of said hay, period. I've heard some people feed haylage or beet pulp, even...

But we digress from the original question...

Post #2925
Posted 11/27/2008 3:45:09 PM
Starting Member

Actually, you have a good point. And you can wrap almost any sort of grass BTW, but that is a waste of money if you want mini (since other's are looking). Wrapped hay is heavy and if your going to the expense, then it makes no sense to cost more for something more about production than convenience.

and speaking of that, some mini equipment isn't all that convenient either. I mean, would you rather unload a pickup load of footballs or golf balls 1 at a time?

20# bail of hay or a 60 # bail of hay. Toss w of the light bails down to the horses, or 1 of the other. Go repeat the steps of taking a bail, of the wagon, place it on the elevator, and stacking it 100 times or 50 times?
Also, smaller equipment will take more energy than large based on intake. If your rake will only make one windrow per pass, you'll go round and round all day. But if you can make 4 windrows with out much more input then you save daylight, time and money.
Post #2931
Posted 1/25/2009 9:33:46 AM

Starting Member

Last Login: 1/25/2009 9:23:02 AM
I know at halloween time stores sell very very small bales of straw for decorative purposes.  Are thinking along those lines?  Pet stores also sell very small bales of alfafa. 

If you were not looking for the above you could always do it like the Amish do.... :) 

Sue Steiner
equine and animal art
www.suesteiner.com

Post #3701
Posted 1/26/2009 6:46:52 AM
Starting Member

Last Login: 2/12/2009 8:16:28 AM
What a Hoot.

I hate to break it to the world..but most Amish have a motor on the horse drawn equpment that basicly starts with a crank. Some of them, when you are not looking, just rent a tractor.

The over markeeting of the Amish have many English in Amish country mad becouse they keep up that mask and people think they all live like they see in antique stores.  The only time you can't truly take a picture of an Amishmen is when he's on his/her Cell phone, or PC.  My cars are fixed by an Amishmen and friend who said,

"why work so hard with horses when he can work just as hard and make $25 an hour?" ( for cash only)

So maybe if you put on a bonnet, and do your work close to the road, make your farm perfectly clean and find out how to sell stuff beside the road to all the folks who stop to watch you, oh and don't pay 2/3rds of the tax...yea do it like the Amish 

Post #3705
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12345»»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:56pm

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.