HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Livestock » draft goat

12»»

draft goat Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 4/7/2011 6:04:12 AM
i have a 1/2 spanish 1/2 nubian wether hes a pretty big boy when i first brought him home i tied him out on a dog cable and him not used to being tied managed to break the cable so im thinking i want to put a harness on him and hook him to a cart there are some amish close by that make harness but i was wandering if an extra large breed dog harness would work
Post #23538
Posted 11/10/2010 6:35:05 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 4/15/2014 2:35:47 PM
It might, however is he still growing?
Post #23548
Posted 11/10/2010 6:58:43 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

the lady i got him from said he was around 3 she bottle raised him
Post #23549
Posted 11/10/2010 2:14:51 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

mth or yrs

if mths then there is a chance he will out grow the dog harness

how will it hock up to what you want him to pull, will the dog harness allow you to do what you want to do

Post #23552
Posted 11/11/2010 7:27:10 AM

he is three years i put a halter on him yesterday and hooked two reins to it he liked to just stand still mostly it was difficult to get him moving but when he finally walked off he would let me guide him for the most part we trained for about a half hour and plan to pick back up today i have a piece of pipe that i bent into a u shape that im gonna hook to my pull behind yard cart and fix like a girt across the front where it is over his shoulders and hook him up that way
Post #23562
Posted 11/11/2010 7:30:30 AM
Advanced Member

Great (above).

I was just scared that he was 3 mths and still growing.

For our son's show pigs, I put a marshmellow at the end of his pig pipe and he had no problems getting them to walk.

Post #23563
Posted 11/11/2010 7:57:05 AM

i just got this goat the other day and am looking for a friend for him id really like to find another wether the same size as him and drive them as a team do you know i feed him hay of course the lady i got him from fed him some sweet feed so i bought the same stuff do you know how much of that sweet feed i should be giving him
Post #23564
Posted 11/11/2010 9:12:02 AM
Advanced Member

We don't have goats, but our rule of thumb with the newbies on the farm is to start with a 1.3 qt bucket of their feed and see how much they will eat in 20 minutes. Then if need be we increase the amount each day until they walk away within that 20 minutes. I know it takes time, but this is a great chance to get your hands on the animal. But we feed twice a day.

Run you an ad for a 3 yr old wether in you newspaper and see if you get any calls. Check back the with lady that you got him from and see if she knows of anyone who has them for sale.

Do you have a market bulletin in your state? If so check out the sale ads and give them a call and see what other have to say about where to get another 3 yr old one.

Don't give up and good luck.

Post #23565
Posted 11/11/2010 10:01:49 AM

the strangest thing just happened my neighbor that lives about 3 miles down the road came pulling up on his 4 wheeler with a buckling strapped to the rack it had been attacked by a dog and was bleeding pretty bad around the neck i put him in the stable by himself to get him to calm down thankfully the bleeding has stopped and he is standing up i dont know what kind of goat he is or how old he is ill give him some time to recoop before i look at his teethe he will definately need castrated well im greatful my wether has a buddy now i know where the goat came from there is a man that lives way back in the forest that has a very large herd of goats and he doesnt have any fence and them goats forage for miles around
Post #23567
Posted 11/11/2010 11:26:46 AM
Advanced Member

See there God works in ways we don't understand.

I guess reason of an attack by dogs or coytoes around here, the first thing I've always put together is a 1st aid kit for that type of animals.

Post #23569
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:27am

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.