HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Livestock » Jumbo Cornish X Rocks

Jumbo Cornish X Rocks Expand / Collapse
Author
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 1/25/2011 2:46:54 AM
I just bought some Jumbo Cornish X Rock Chicks today!! (first time getting these guys) Boy are they big and heavy!! Does anyone here have experience with them and is it true that they are too large at time of maturity to breed successfully and would not be as good a quality as if you got them from a hatchery? I've read that but don't know if that's there to get people to just purchase them from the hatcheries? And if that's true, how do they then breed them? Anybody out there bred or raised any? Can someone give me some tips?

Nalani Lloyd, Hawaii
Post #23344
Posted 11/2/2010 7:51:57 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 10/17/2012 3:56:17 PM
I don't believe that they reproduce. I think they are a cross between two other birds to produce the quick growing. ( I tried looking it up but couldn't find the information)

I got 5 last spring. Lost one early on, just went in the coop and it was just lying there.  Lost another one a couple weeks later.  Two I got butchered and the third died before I got her done. (they are ready to butcher at 56 weeks) I was a week late with the ones we did get butchered. By that time they were very large (dressed at 9#). Once they are at 56 days they are prone to heart attacks and broken bones.  I believe a heart attack is what happened to the last one.

Since I lost the first two, and found out that it is one of those things that butchering them is mandatory (if you don't want to lose them) at a precise time that I was not going to get any next year.  However after baking one and tasting it, I have decided to get some and have better planning. I wasn't sure how the butchering was going to go, but I managed it and I think I can do it by my self, next year. (this was the first year of butchering anything "tame")

Livin to learn

Post #23345
Posted 11/2/2010 8:38:53 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 5/11/2012 2:10:25 PM
You are waiting too long to butcher! Cornish X Rocks are bred to put on weight super fast, the larger you let them get the more health problems you see. From legs unable to hold them up, to hearts giving out. They do have a strain that is a bit slower, recommended for high altitudes. You can use White Rocks, for meat. They'll be slower to reach butcher weight, but if you're a week or two late it will be OK. They can breed true, without the problems and they're pretty good layers if you want to keep them.
Post #23346
Posted 11/2/2010 9:00:33 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 10/17/2012 3:56:17 PM
Duh, I thought that is what I said, but looking back it is 56 days not weeks, SO SORRY I  MADE TYPO! JEEZ

Livin to learn
Post #23348
Posted 11/2/2010 5:22:21 PM

Senior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior MemberSenior Member

Last Login: 1/18/2013 7:28:50 PM
I buy the Cornish X Roasters and start butchering pullets at about 9-10 weeks for fryers and let the cockerels go longer (up to about 3 months) for roasters.

The first time I bought specific meat birds, they were the Cornish X Rocks and lost several of them to ascites, fluid congestion in their abdomens.  Basically, they were eating themselves to death, lying in front of the feeders to eat non-stop.

I learned the following year that it is best to take away the feed overnight or learn to adjust the amount of feed given to them so that they run out in between meals.

These birds are cross-bred, thus the "X" in their names.  I do have one hen that I  didn't butcher last year, as she was very small in comparison to the other birds.  She occasionally lays an egg and I'm not even sure that she was a Cornish X, as she is nowhere as broad-breasted as the other meat birds were.

Karen

http://www.facebook.com/MrsKsCreations

Post #23357
Posted 11/2/2010 8:24:45 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 4/19/2012 7:46:18 PM
Cornish Cross, or Cornish X Rock, whatever name they go by, are a hybrid. If they survive to maturity and reproduce, their young will not be true to the parents. Usually they don't live long enough to reproduce, because as others have already pointed out. After a certain point they develop health problems because of their extremely fast rate of growth. Butcher them between 6-9 weeks. Also, I've noticed that Cornish Cross do better when they are not raised with other chickens. 
Post #23360
Posted 11/3/2010 8:10:13 AM

Last Login: 5/11/2012 2:10:25 PM
Jasper. I did not intend to offend.
Post #23367
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:04pm

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.