HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Hobby Farms Discussions » Barley Stock Tank Bags

Barley Stock Tank Bags Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 10/24/2012 5:48:41 AM
I'm guessing the water down South gets too warm for goldfish in the Summer. I haven't tried the barley bags - looked at them often - but never tried them! I was reading the other day about the benefits of adding apple cider vinegar to water for the animals though (check out this link)...
http://www.sheepmagazine.com/issues/24/24-1/Laurie_Ball-Gisch.html
I added a tablespoonful or so to my chicken waterers and that was enough to prevent the algae that had been growing in there. Haven't tried it in my stock tanks yet (need to buy some more!), but I am planning on it. Not to hijack the thread (much!) but anyone else use ACV for their animals?
I know a lot of people around here swear by it for everything from coughs and colds to foot fungus...

---
Goats and sheep and chickens and turkeys, a cow, a duck, a pony, a donkey, three dogs, too many cats, a rabbit, a hamster, a small boy, my husband and me on a small farm in middle Tennessee...
Post #21328
Posted 7/20/2010 11:36:07 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 4/15/2014 2:35:47 PM
Well to purchase the ACV it close to $5.00 per plastic jug.

We use it in the chicken water and alot when we notice that the chicks are molting. When P2 gets the itches from being in the tall grass, I make him take a bath with it. Some people drink it to lose weight, but never tried it. Never use the stuff with a copper bowl, found that out the hard way.

Post #21329
Posted 7/20/2010 2:46:11 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 11/30/2010 9:37:58 AM
I have goldfish in my tanks they do wonders in keeping the mosquito larva out but don't care much for the green stuff.  

They stay out in them all year and seem to do fine. In the summer they do hang out at the bottom more.

~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirls-better looking farmers with brains.
~~~~~~~~~

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Post #21331
Posted 7/26/2010 8:22:07 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 4/15/2014 2:35:47 PM
Okay bought the bag. 1st 2 days the water turned BLACK. Then the 3rd day, HEY you can see the bottom of the water trough and the water is CLEAR. We used a brick to sink the bag so Summer would not taste it. Then P2 found some tadpoles, (going to have frog up to you know where soon), and put in there. Thinking about putting 2 small goldfish, too. But the crain will have open season on them since the trough only holds 20 gallons.
Post #21478
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:30am

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.