HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Hobby Farms Discussions » Barley Stock Tank Bags

12»»

Barley Stock Tank Bags Expand / Collapse
Author
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 4/15/2014 2:35:47 PM
Went to TSC and P2 and I found these barley stock tank bags. You put them in the water to help keep the stock water clean. They were $4.99 a bag and you replace the bags every 2 mths. Before I purchase this and put it in Summer's water tank, has anyone used this before? Did you see results and did you like it? Oh is it worth the money?

Thanks.

P2 wanted to know, too. He found a dead baby bird in Summer's water. (There's a 1st time for everything.) He just dumped the water and let it fill up again. Should he have scrubbed the sides, since he dumped then entire 80 gallons of water out. Don't know how long the dead baby bird was floating in Summer's water.

Post #21299
Posted 7/19/2010 7:44:32 AM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: Today @ 4:04:08 AM
C we use them in our little pond and they work fairly well, because the water was already getting green alge before we started we needed to replace ours sooner, but sis & I think yes they are worth the price

Lord keep you arm around my shoulder & your hand over my mouth                                                              If God brings you to it, He will see you through it            'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Post #21301
Posted 7/19/2010 1:51:39 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Hey F does it sink by itself once all the barley gets wet? Or do you have to sink it with a rock. Will that hurt it's preformance in cleaning the water in the tank?
Post #21306
Posted 7/19/2010 2:47:35 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 11/30/2010 9:37:58 AM
I used one of these in my horses water tank and I did not have very good results. I don't know if it was because there are three horses drinking from it and at the same time dropping feed,hay and grass in the water too. My tank was green in the same amount of time as it was without it.

I do have a small fountain pond and since Farmermom had good results with it in hers, I think I may give a try there. The dog is the only thing that drinks from that.

~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirls-better looking farmers with brains.
~~~~~~~~~

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Post #21311
Posted 7/19/2010 3:12:26 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Ours never sank it floats tied off on one side of the pond.

Bug our pond is never clear even with the barley bag because we have critters in it and the fountain waterfall gets very green, the only time our pond is completely clear is when we have so much rain mom's sump pump is running (we use that for our water source whenever possible because we're on town water with clorine) The big difference we found with the barley bag is the water doesn't get so green that it's thick & slimey so we don't have to skim it all the time like we did last year

Lord keep you arm around my shoulder & your hand over my mouth                                                              If God brings you to it, He will see you through it            'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Post #21313
Posted 7/19/2010 3:37:24 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 11/30/2010 9:37:58 AM
FM- I think that the problem I had with the stock tank was the algea grew on all the junk the horses dropped in it. Poor bag could not keep up with it. I will be thankful if it keeps the hairy slime to a minimum in the fountain though. Green stuff is always clogging the pump. Can't hurt to try.

~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirls-better looking farmers with brains.
~~~~~~~~~

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Post #21315
Posted 7/19/2010 3:50:20 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 9/23/2010 4:13:39 PM
Have you gals ever used a Gold Fish?

On one of the dairy farms they put gold fish in the waters for the cows and the gold fish eat the algae that forms. The cows do not drink the gold fish either, nor do they seem to mind them swimming around. Not sure about horses and other animals, but I know cows and gold fish work quite well.

Just a suggestion...

Tell a welfare recipient they must work and they call their congressman. Tell a farmer he can no longer work and he commits suicide. No wonder 1/2% of the population feeds the other 99-1/2%!!
Post #21316
Posted 7/19/2010 6:42:09 PM

Average Member

DB did you know here in Maine that's illegal? There's an up to $10,000 fine for goldfish outside in any water even if you're not close to any bodies of water - a preditory bird might get them and drop them in a pond, lake , or river (as if any would ever live long enough to get dropped like that) but that's the thinking of those geniuses in our "great" capitol. There was a woman that had a small garden pond with a few goldfish in it and the state came in and dumped something in the pond to kill them off and fined her for having them outside in the pond.

Post #21318
Posted 7/19/2010 11:10:39 PM

Advanced Member

Last Login: 9/23/2010 4:13:39 PM
I was not aware of that, but it does not surprise me, that is what 40 years of Democrat control does to a state I guess.

I would tell them to go get a search warrant first and inform them Maine is a Right to Farm state ...not sure it would get me very far but I'd make them work to kill my Gold Fish first! (I'm odd like that). :-)

Tell a welfare recipient they must work and they call their congressman. Tell a farmer he can no longer work and he commits suicide. No wonder 1/2% of the population feeds the other 99-1/2%!!
Post #21322
Posted 7/20/2010 7:20:01 AM
Advanced Member

Down here the goldfish grow and do great in the concrete water troughs only. With the rubber water troughs, the goldfish only last for a few weeks and they die off.

With Summer's water trough it only holds 50 gallons of water and the crains can pick off the goldfish and I would be feeding the crains.

Post #21325
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:04pm

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.