HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Livestock » Sheep Bloat

Sheep Bloat Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 11/30/2010 9:37:58 AM
I just successfully treated one of my 2 Katahdin sheep for bloat. I always pride myself in asking lots of questions and doing lots of reading and research on my animals before,during and after I get them. This time however I missed something. I gave my sheep a flake of timothy/alfalfa mix and I guess it was too green. I went out this morning to find my male(castrated) laying in the sheep house doing poor. I quickly ran inside to grab my Storey's Sheep Guide. I found he had bloat and after an eventful time of me and my Aussie, Stella,trying to corner him I treated him with the remedy in the book and after I placed the wooden dowel in his mouth he let out a belch any good beer drinker would envy. My sheep are orphan bottle babies that would probably not be here except for me. I keep them because I enjoy them so much as my main thing is chickens and horses. I can say that having some good reference material on hand and other farm people has been a huge asset on my farm.  Anyone else have any stories like this to share? Or any other things about bloat in sheep?

~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirls-better looking farmers with brains.
~~~~~~~~~

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Post #17670
Posted 3/26/2010 9:05:19 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 1/5/2012 10:41:55 AM
Way to use your noggin'! I love the Storey's series - they can explain things to newbies in a way you can actually understand!
Personally I jump on the internet whenever I have a question - our library is very limited on books, especially on livestock. I was never a fan of message boards or blogs but I think that's because I hadn't found any on things I actually needed to know until I found this one!

I fully believe that what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. I believe in dirt and germs!
Post #17673
Posted 3/26/2010 10:07:21 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 9/23/2010 4:13:39 PM
Yep live by my two stories guides to sheep too. I always wanted the big behemoth sheep guide from the Sheep Industry Association, but I could never get myself to bring myself to the $125 dollar book, and Storey has worked thus far!

As for bloat, good for you, it can kill a sheep, cow or goat quickly! I saved one a few weeks ago, only to lose it to Preg Toxemia 2 weeks later, but that is the way it goes. In a worst case situation, you can also use a jack-knife to cure bloat. You go on the right side where the bloat typically occurs, feel for the stomach and then stab a hole in the sheep, cow or goat. It expels the excess gas, and then you sterilize and patch up the stab wound. It sounds brutal, but it is easier to patch up a cut then it is to be squeamish and have a dead sheep, cow or goat!

Again, good for you!

Tell a welfare recipient they must work and they call their congressman. Tell a farmer he can no longer work and he commits suicide. No wonder 1/2% of the population feeds the other 99-1/2%!!
Post #17677
Posted 3/26/2010 10:27:37 AM

Last Login: 2/8/2011 5:59:26 PM
What are the signs of sheep bloat? Is it really obvious when it's happening? I have the med, but I'm not sure I'd recognize when to use it . . .

I'm guessing, a downer animal panting and looking bloated . . . but is it that obvious?  My big breeding ewes ALWAYS look a bit bloated to me, but they insist it's just 'fluffy' . . not fat

Muddy Run Farm -- clean floors are highly overrated

Post #17678
Posted 3/26/2010 12:45:45 PM

Last Login: 11/30/2010 9:37:58 AM
How do you tell if its bloat:What helped me is that I really know my sheep. I only have the 2 so its easy for me. I noticed he was not himself. I also read the book prior to this and it helped me to pinpoint that it was his tummy that was bothering him. He was just laying around and rubbing his head on his side and not chewing his cud at all. He also didn't run for the food as usual. If you have ever had any experience with horses it seemed sort of like colic. Again the Storey's Guide was a godsend. I have one for every type animal I have and also the Barnyard in My Backyard. I used the remedy in the book that was water, cooking oil,baking soda mixed then stuck a wood dowel in his mouth like a horse bit. That did it and it was fast too. We have no vets here that treat anything other than small animals or equine. I fortunately have a horse vet who used to work at another large animal vet up north so she helps some. I now also have this wonderful site with so many great people with great advice and info. Thank you all for that.

Drawbar-sorry to hear you lost yours. I could not imagine that though I know its part of farm life. I raised these two and they used to sleep on the floor in my bedroom(husband hated that but put up with it) and ride in my truck with me when I went places. They are pretty friendly with me-as far as sheep go that is

~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirls-better looking farmers with brains.
~~~~~~~~~

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Post #17683
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 9:13am

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.