HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Hobby Farms Discussions » Marketing your Farm Product

1234»»»

Marketing your Farm Product Expand / Collapse
Author

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 1/17/2014 5:35:06 PM
The Hobby Farms editors are planning an upcoming feature on marketing your farm product. We'd like to know if you have any questions on marketing for your farm or any related farm-business questions you'd like to ask a business expert.

Please post your questions here on this thread and we'll update you all on when this feature will be coming to HobbyFarms.com.

Hobby Farms Community Moderator

Are you on Facebook? Hobby Farms is! Become a fan and get monthly updates about what’s new on the website. Be a Fan at
www.facebook.com/pages/HobbyFarmscom/42353337183
Post #17385
Posted 3/16/2010 6:37:10 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 6:34:01 AM
My biggest question is:

How do I quantify my marketing plans?
That is, what methods can I use to tell if one technique works better than another? How can I tell if a newspaper ad works better than an ad on the Hobbyfarms website?
Post #17387
Posted 3/17/2010 10:34:44 PM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 9/23/2010 4:13:39 PM
You could do something on marketing 4H type stuff?

I had a lady call last week looking for some 4H lambs and I had no idea what she wanted, what she was looking for or what to charge her for the 4H lambs. She ultimately picked a few out, but I think I undercharged her for them.

I have heard the 4H market can be lucrative if done right though.

Tell a welfare recipient they must work and they call their congressman. Tell a farmer he can no longer work and he commits suicide. No wonder 1/2% of the population feeds the other 99-1/2%!!
Post #17402
Posted 3/23/2010 12:26:56 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 10/17/2011 12:56:56 PM
I would like to know where you can find accurate information on the laws/rules that apply to selling products; that is what is required to be allowed to sell to the public, what types of inspections are needed and from whom, what things need to be done to protect the consumers (such as insurances, cleaning of products,etc..) and types of processing needed for animals, is it better to sell live animals and let the buyer process or is it safe to sell already processed items?
Post #17570
Posted 3/27/2010 11:50:27 AM

Last Login: 1/5/2012 10:41:55 AM
Most of my questions have already been posted, but I would like to say thanks in advance for running this! I've been curious about the very questions posted above, but didn't know where to go to get some answers.

I fully believe that what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. I believe in dirt and germs!
Post #17708
Posted 4/19/2010 12:58:42 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 4/19/2010 12:55:44 PM
Drawbar:

I paid $150 for our 4H lamb.  I understand they can run $100-200.

Post #18382
Posted 4/26/2010 2:15:07 PM

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 2/1/2011 10:29:45 AM
I'd like to know about figuring out pricing of my veggies for fall harvest but then again I just joined on today so I may find my answers once I poke around
Post #18601
Posted 4/26/2010 5:17:28 PM

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 6/3/2010 5:57:24 PM
Drawbar (3/17/2010)
You could do something on marketing 4H type stuff?

I had a lady call last week looking for some 4H lambs and I had no idea what she wanted, what she was looking for or what to charge her for the 4H lambs. She ultimately picked a few out, but I think I undercharged her for them.

I have heard the 4H market can be lucrative if done right though.

I'd be interested to hear more about this too, because my experience is just the opposite. Rather than the 4h market being lucrative, I've experienced a lot of them wanting to be given animals for nothing, or almost nothing. In purepbred poultry anyway, many breeders do in fact offer free or low cost quality birds to the kids. Because of this frequent practice, I've also seen cases where they or their parents have come to expect or almost demand it. Not in my area, but in the bigger ag states where the 4h animals sell for inflated prices to companies who are looking to donate to the cause, I guess you could say that the 4h market there is lucrative. Unfortunately it's lucrative for the kids alone, not the producer.

Post #18610
Posted 4/26/2010 5:41:19 PM

Last Login: 11/30/2010 9:37:58 AM
Gallus please cut the 4-H bashing. I grew up in a state that had tons of 4-H's. and none of us were like that. in fact I just had a group contact me to BUY  my extra Speckled Sussex chickens that I got for nothing. I did not advertise these chickens it was just by word of mouth that I had extra and they were interested and did not ask for them for free.

Maybe you have had bad experiances but most of us have not and would like to have our children involved in 4-H.

~~~~~~~~~
Farmgirls-better looking farmers with brains.
~~~~~~~~~

I dream of a better world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Post #18612
Posted 5/1/2010 10:54:54 AM
Starting Member

Last Login: 5/16/2012 10:09:13 PM
I'd like to know where to get local market data and how to analyze it.  Basically I want to be confident that there is a market for a product before any money is invested in producing something.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Post #18797
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

1234»»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 4:23am

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.