HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Livestock » How to keep chickens off the porch??????

How to keep chickens off the porch?????? Expand / Collapse
Author

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 8/2/2010 6:22:03 PM
How do you go about keeping chickens off the front porch. I have free ranging chickens that are now making a big mess of the front porch. Any ideas on how to keep them off the front porch?
Post #16604
Posted 2/20/2010 4:54:14 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 7/30/2010 7:27:00 PM
Screen the porch.

Alice
Summers in the Ozarks, Winters in South Texas
Post #16608
Posted 2/20/2010 5:51:00 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 4/7/2011 6:04:12 AM
its always been a dream of mine to have chickens running around in my yard my grandma says i wont like it cause ill track chicken poo in the house even if you screened it in you still would i guess thats the price you pay to have free range chickens     its  still my dream
Post #16609
Posted 2/20/2010 6:37:07 PM

I am starting to think that free range Fried Chicken, might be a better idea.
Post #16610
Posted 2/20/2010 8:07:56 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 2/8/2011 5:59:26 PM
Tear off the porch.

Burn down the porch.

Kill the chix.

I think these are your only options. I swear there are 2 RULES that all chicks learn at their mothers' bony knees . . .

1. Chickens do not go where humans say.

2. Chickens go where chickens please.

Muddy Run Farm -- clean floors are highly overrated

Post #16612
Posted 2/21/2010 8:13:58 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 4/15/2014 2:35:47 PM
Our dog and cat have their house on our porch and they keep the chickens off for me.

I have a friend that put a motion senor on her porch and the talk show radio comes on and you can see the chickens run off. The key is to not let it play to long or they get use to the noise and no body is around.

So how close is your porch to the coop? Can you move the coop?

Post #16624
Posted 2/21/2010 12:39:34 PM

Last Login: 4/19/2012 7:46:18 PM
Try giving your chickens a reason to spend time elsewhere. Put shade and water far from the porch. Plant a poultry pasture filled with plants they like to eat well away from the porch. Electric fence in another option that is not overly intrusive than is also portable and could help keep your chickens contained. 
Post #16636
Posted 2/21/2010 3:38:05 PM

Last Login: 9/5/2012 5:39:52 AM
Keep a dog on the porch.  We used to have a border collie mix that would chase the chickens out of the yard.  I had to give him the go ahead, and tell him to stop, but he sure chased those hens out of the yard.  The only other suggestion I have is a chicken yard.

Visit The Christian Homesteader
http://farmwoman.proboards.com/index.cgi
Post #16644
Posted 2/27/2010 9:32:17 AM

Sorry, it has been a while since I have been back on here. I have a cat on the porch and it watches the chickens eat its food. The dog is in a area that has invisible fencing in the back yard. The chickens take their chances going through his area. He hasn't eaten any yet. I like the idea of the motion sensor, and radio.

What kind of plants do you plant for your chickens?

Post #16839
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:23am

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.