HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Hobby Farms Discussions » National FFA Week

National FFA Week Expand / Collapse
Author

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 3/12/2014 6:21:20 AM
Next week (Feb. 20-27, 2010) is National FFA Week and the editors of Hobby Farms want to know if you got your start in farming with this organization. If so, tell us what you learned through your involvement in FFA and what sort of impact it has made on your life as a hobby farmer.

Hobby Farms, Hobby Farm Home and HobbyFarms.com are all on Facebook! Become our fan ... here's a link to the website page: www.facebook.com/pages/HobbyFarmscom/42353337183
Post #16474
Posted 2/16/2010 2:07:00 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 12/14/2013 11:34:55 AM
No I didn't when I was growing up I had never heard of FFA but my daughter was a member of FFA when she was in High school

Lord keep you arm around my shoulder & your hand over my mouth                                                              If God brings you to it, He will see you through it            'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

Post #16481
Posted 2/17/2010 3:14:11 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 6/3/2010 5:57:24 PM
The national FFA was one of the first organizations to partner with the USDA in trying to get NAIS implimented. They actually signed an agreement with USDA, requiring anyone who participated in their livestock programs to be required to get a premises ID first.

FFA, booooo.

Post #16485
Posted 2/17/2010 7:54:13 AM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 4/15/2014 2:35:47 PM
No, parents made us do the 4H thing and then when we were old enough FFA it was a choice. Only my sister that was 10 yrs older then me went on to do the FFA and my hubby did the FFA thing but he lived in a different parish than I did when we were growing up.

Farming was taught at home and it felt like it was something in our blood. The need to own land and to make something out of it was the calling.

But it will be a choice for our son if he wants to join 4H and FFA, but the animals will still come. So look out people, the question want stop with me...LOL...

Post #16497
Posted 2/17/2010 3:32:32 PM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 3/20/2010 5:49:27 PM
My son was a member of FFA form 2005 to 2009.  Was treasurer, secertary and President.  Earned his State degree.  Loved every minute of it.  Also had a truly dedicated teacher.  Did livestock judging, Palimentary Procedure (went to state in 2009) worked many volunteer hours for Cattlemans Assc., etc...  Started college at ATI (Tech school of Ohio State) this past fall but due to personal reasons has to take a year off.  Planning on studying Agronony.  Best experience of his high school years!
Post #16510
Posted 2/18/2010 5:38:59 AM

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 6/3/2010 5:57:24 PM
I agree that in many ways FFA is superior to 4h. They are better organized, more professional and sensible, and geared toward teaching, seriously, farming practices, responsibility, cooperation and healthy competition, without most of the emotionally retarded silliness of 4h. Still, the national FFA's unquestioning support of NAIS, and it's eagerness to help in giving away their children's and our rights, put a big crimp in my support for them.
Post #16528
Posted 2/26/2010 1:30:06 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 9/23/2010 4:13:39 PM
I did neither FFA nor 4H...

Tell a welfare recipient they must work and they call their congressman. Tell a farmer he can no longer work and he commits suicide. No wonder 1/2% of the population feeds the other 99-1/2%!!
Post #16783
Posted 2/28/2010 6:05:09 PM

Last Login: 2/8/2011 5:59:26 PM
I was in 4H from the age of 9 - and held every office over the years. Now I'm a club leader and my kids (12 and 8) are both in 4H == and likely will be in FFA when the time comes.

We're a long time 4H/FFA family. My neices and nephews all earned their money for college by showing and selling 4H animals, then breeding stock they developed as they got old enough to plan bloodlines etc.

4H and FFA can both be excellent organizations - but like any, it depends so much on the adult volunteers.

Muddy Run Farm -- clean floors are highly overrated

Post #16869
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 3:38am

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.