HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Going Green » solar power

solar power Expand / Collapse
Author

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 12/8/2009 6:45:43 PM
I have installed solar deck lights around my barn. They are inexpensive. Small and insignificant during the day. But add just enough light at nite that I don't have to cart a flashlight with me, or worry with my light on my hat.
The less I have to keep up with on a cold rainy nite (out feeding late) the better. The best part is that I don't have to turn them off and on.
Post #14016
Posted 12/2/2009 12:47:57 PM

Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 12/8/2009 6:45:43 PM
my fence charger is solar powered too !
Works great should have gotten it sooner !
Post #14018
Posted 12/3/2009 5:17:32 PM

Average Member

Average MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage MemberAverage Member

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 4:53:34 PM
It must be brand-specific, because even when living in Florida where there was plenty of solar power we have back experiences.  The lights were very dim and didn't last long.

We did have solar hot water and that was fantastic!  It required a 120 gallon hot water tank but after the inital cost we only used the electrical power supply on rare occasions.  In 2004 we had 3 hurricanes with extended power outages and never took a cold shower!

M. and D.

Post #14059
Posted 12/3/2009 9:30:27 PM
Starting Member

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 12/4/2009 7:12:18 PM
here our sun is just not consistent enough for solar. Local man had a very nice solar fount in his pond, but it was only running half the time.

here some folks heat water with wood since most people burn wood 7 months ish out of the year. Sometimes it's only to take off the chill, but you get the idea.
Post #14064
Posted 6/13/2010 6:15:47 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 2/14/2013 6:55:06 PM
Solar lights could be brand specific. I have many of them and really like them. Although I'll have to admit that some have a brighter light than others. I also have a solar powered electric fence around the bees and since the bear never bothers the bees I assume it works fine.

Valerie
Enjoying life with chickens, bees, gardens, flowers and a dear sweet 3 year old fully of curiosity and love!
Post #20440
Posted 6/20/2010 10:01:45 AM
Starting Member

Group: Banned Members
Last Login: 6/26/2010 4:37:02 PM
funny you speak of bears cuz localy I've been asked why the bears keep take'n off with all solar lights... they bust them up in ppls lawns.
Post #20593
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 7:16am

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.