HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Fabulously Frugal » Homemade Electric Fence Insulators

Homemade Electric Fence Insulators Expand / Collapse
Author

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/23/2010 4:13:39 PM
I know you can buy apackage of plastic fence insulators for 4 bucks, but you only get 25 of them and a 5 acre field can require 1000 of them. I looked at fence insulators and realized they were only plastic and plastic surrounds us, but what could I use to make a insulator by the thousands that was quick, easy and cheap.

Black plastic pipe was the answer.

I use my woodworking bandsaw to cut the pipe to 1½" lengths. One cut is at 45º and the other at 90º. (I just guess as there is no need for super accuracy) Then I cut a slot in each end, about a half inch in. Finally I drill a 1/8" hole in the end which was cut at 45º. In this fashion, I can make about 200 insulators per hour, and a roll of black plastic pipe will net you 800 insulators for 20 bucks. 3 bucks in 6 penny nails rounds out the costs so I think it is worth it.

The insulators are hung opposite of what you would think. The pipe is hung vertically, with the 45º cut there so you can swing a hammer and drive the nail into the wooden post. Then the wire is wrapped around the insulator with the wire "latching" onto the insulator by jamming itself in the slots cut in the pipe.

It really is that quick and easy.

Another cheap insulator idea I use is to use supatube. Its this black plastic pipe that comes in 10 foot rolls. I cut it into 2 inch pieces and use staples to nail it to the wooden posts. This works great on new construction fences, but lousy when using old wire as its easier to slide all the insulators on before stapling them to the posts. It is cheap though. $10 bucks will net you about 400 insulators.

Yet another idea for posts and insulators is to drill holes in ½" pvc pipe cut to 4 foot length and driven into the ground. If you drill the holes first and thread the wires through first, you can make a new, temp fence really fast and cheap versus fiberglass posts and insulated clips and all that.

Maybe these ideas will work for some of you as well. I have tested them and they have worked for me in the past, at least on sheep.

Tell a welfare recipient they must work and they call their congressman. Tell a farmer he can no longer work and he commits suicide. No wonder 1/2% of the population feeds the other 99-1/2%!!
Post #10824
Posted 9/20/2009 8:48:39 PM

New MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew MemberNew Member

Last Login: 7/30/2010 7:27:00 PM
Could you post pictures?

Alice
Summers in the Ozarks, Winters in South Texas
Post #11333
Posted 9/21/2009 3:47:53 AM

Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Last Login: 9/23/2010 4:13:39 PM
Alice I will try. Something is amiss with my camera software right now and my computer won't recognize that my camera is hooked up to the computer.

Tell a welfare recipient they must work and they call their congressman. Tell a farmer he can no longer work and he commits suicide. No wonder 1/2% of the population feeds the other 99-1/2%!!
Post #11339
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 12:46am

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.