HobbyFarms.com
LivestockCrops & GardeningTools & equipmentFood & Kitchenhome & barnmarketing & mgmtcrafts & nature
Hobby Farms Forums
Rules-Read First    Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home » HobbyFarms.com Forum Topics » Gardening and Crops » Spider Webs in Pecan Tree

12»»

Spider Webs in Pecan Tree Expand / Collapse
Author
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 4/15/2014 2:35:47 PM
We have several pecan trees and like the years before we are getting spider webs in them. We don't spray them. We wait for a rain and light the webs on fire. I have a pecan tree in the chicken yard and is very close to the shed/coop. Don't want to spray because of the chickens and don't really want to lite a fire since it's to close for comfort. Any suggestions, besides just leaving the webs along? The caterpillars that fall only the ants will kill and eat. The chickens don't eat them like some of the other small insects.
Post #10561
Posted 8/28/2009 6:26:45 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 2/14/2013 6:55:06 PM
We can't grow pecan trees. Is there something wrong with having spider webs in the tree? To me spiders are another one of those wonderful creatures that keeps the bugs at bay. Personally, I'd leave the webs there and let the spiders do their job.

Valerie
Enjoying life with chickens, bees, gardens, flowers and a dear sweet 3 year old fully of curiosity and love!
Post #10575
Posted 8/29/2009 6:07:26 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 4/18/2014 6:34:01 AM
If these are tent caterpillars, then you can spray them with a detergent mixture. Mix about 1 teaspoon of liquid dish detergent with 1 - 3 gallons of water in a sprayer. Hose down the tent caterpillars well, it will take a moment to get the detergent mix to penetrate the webs, the caterpillars will die in moments. No poison to worry about, the detergent will not harm the chickens.
Post #10585
Posted 8/29/2009 12:31:20 PM
Advanced Member

Advanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced MemberAdvanced Member

Wichman (8/29/2009)
1 teaspoon of liquid dish detergent with 1 - 3 gallons of water in a sprayer. 

Does it matter the brand name on the detergent? Like using Dawn for fleas we found works the best.

Thanks so much for that. Going to try it in the A.M.

Post #10593
Posted 8/29/2009 1:41:16 PM

Last Login: 4/18/2014 6:34:01 AM
Anything works, if you have Dawn around, use it.
Post #10595
Posted 9/9/2009 8:15:05 AM
Advanced Member

Were taking about a flock that goes nuts for Louisiana LoveBugs and I'm not talking about the crawfish. I've never seen anything like it. They will peck the dead ones off the front of the jeep and with the new truck we have to wash it every day during lovebug season so they won't peck the finish off. When hubby cuts the grass and the lovebug are up in the air they fly over the fence and eat their bait full and peck the sides of the shed and even the house.
Post #10900
Posted 9/10/2009 10:05:39 AM
Starting Member

Starting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting MemberStarting Member

Last Login: 11/3/2009 9:52:32 AM
Cutting off the affected branches and spraying with the soapy mix are probably the easiest fixes. But you might also want to contact your local Cooperative Extension office in case they have solutions which are specific to your area. You should be able to find a listing for your local office in the phone book, online, or through your state's land grant college.  Good luck.
Post #10943
Posted 9/11/2009 6:33:10 AM

Last Login: 12/8/2010 5:25:50 AM
i know useing those hedge balls. those big green balls off of certain trees works great if u put them in your basement or barns. bad thang is they last a few months maybe put sum at the base of your peacon trees i dont know if it would work that well out side inside it works great.
Post #10972
Posted 9/11/2009 6:33:29 AM

Last Login: 12/8/2010 5:25:50 AM
i know useing those hedge balls. those big green balls off of certain trees works great if u put them in your basement or barns. bad thang is they last a few months maybe put sum at the base of your peacon trees i dont know if it would work that well out side inside it works great.
Post #10973
Posted 9/11/2009 10:26:14 AM
Advanced Member

Well I started to try the soap and water with a hand pump strayer and a ladder. It seemed to me that is was working, then the rains have set in. Now the caterpillars have moved up. I need to get (more like barrow) a pole saw to get the limbs. Most of our pecan trees where planted in the 1920's or eailer you can't hug some of them.

Any suggestion about those black carpenter ants?

Post #10986
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

12»»

Reading This Topic Expand / Collapse
Active Users: 1 (1 guest, 0 members, 0 anonymous members)
No members currently viewing this topic.
Forum Moderators: Admin, HRSEGRL, HFfriend, Community Moderator, Assistant Moderator

Permissions Expand / Collapse

All times are GMT -8:00, Time now is 11:03pm

Home | Link to Us | Hobby Farms Related Links | Classified Ads | Community | Contact Us | About Us | Advertise With Us

ShopAnimalNetwork.com | Dogs | Cats | Birds | Horses | Fishes | Reptiles | Small Animals | Remember Our Pets

Disclaimer: The posts and threads recorded in our messageboards do not reflect the opinions of nor are endorsed by BowTie, Inc., Animal Network nor any of its employees. We are not responsible for the content of these posts and threads. Site best viewed with IE 5+

Copyright © BowTie, Inc. All rights reserved.
Our Privacy Policy has changed. Policy/Your California Privacy Rights. Terms of Use. Guidelines for Participation.